AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

Leica TCRA 1101 reflective tape issue

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
2,051 Views
AlphaBootis
(@alphabootis)
Posts: 6
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Hello,

I know it may be a stupid thing, but I have an issue with reflective tape readings in the free stationing process. I'm using a Leica robotic TCRA 1101+ total station with a RCS controller. When I intend to read a benchmark wich is materialised by a Leica Reflective Tape, the total station does not recognise it even if I change the prism type from 360 reflector to leica refl tape. The station just keeps searching the prism despite the short distance (aprox. 20-30 m) and despite the fact that I focus in advance the center of the tape.

Is there any other thing I should do beside changing the prism type in order to perform the readings??ÿ

Thank you.


 
Posted : April 22, 2021 2:48 am
brad-ott
(@brad-ott)
Posts: 6178
Member Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Forgive my attempt at lighthearted humor, but my 1100 (1998 vintage) only locks onto my 360 prism OR the tail-lights of moving traffic OR the reflective tape on my safety vest.


 
Posted : April 22, 2021 8:01 am
cf-67
(@cf-67)
Posts: 367
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Turn off ATR perhaps?


 
Posted : April 22, 2021 9:15 am
AlphaBootis
(@alphabootis)
Posts: 6
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@cf-67

I've tried that. Same result.


 
Posted : April 22, 2021 9:41 am
AlphaBootis
(@alphabootis)
Posts: 6
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@brad-ott

Hahaha. It seems that your TS is overzealous. You should try less charged batteries. ???œ?ÿ


 
Posted : April 22, 2021 9:54 am

BStrand
(@bstrand)
Posts: 2781
Member P&R
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Normally this would probably be a great problem to have.?ÿ Ha

Is it possible to shoot the tape reflectorless or is that a recipe for disaster?


 
Posted : April 22, 2021 11:40 am
cf-67
(@cf-67)
Posts: 367
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@alphabootis

Ok, but the station shouldn't go into a search with ATR "Off". Are you sure it's off?

Whatever seems logical is usually the opposite of what you do with a Leica! If it says ATR- that means it's on. If it says ATR+ that means it's off


 
Posted : April 22, 2021 2:19 pm
AlphaBootis
(@alphabootis)
Posts: 6
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@bstrand

If I shoot the tape reflectorless, the prism constant will be set automatically to 0. It could be a problem because the reflective tape has a constant of +34.4 and they were determined in this way. I fear that reflectorless, the laser beam does not "shot" the center of the tape due to its cone shape. It is the first time when I face this problem. I have worked before with a leica icon robotic total station and I did not had this problem. From the controller prism menu, I was switching the prism type and I made the measurements accordingly without any issue.

?ÿ

I will try to find a solution by performing some tests.

Thank you for your answers and for your intention to help.?ÿ


 
Posted : April 23, 2021 12:53 am
party-chef
(@party-chef)
Posts: 988
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I would test if it happens when working direct from the gun.

I would also exit all other programs and work from station set up only.

Or change the setting in "survey" which I think is the top of the stack program.

Every once and a while you can find some old bug that occurs only in certain menu conditions.

_The last time I turned on an 1100 George Bush was president._

?ÿ


 
Posted : April 23, 2021 2:29 am
bushaxe
(@bushaxe)
Posts: 642
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@party-chef

hahaha! H.W. or just W. ?


 
Posted : April 23, 2021 4:30 am

AlphaBootis
(@alphabootis)
Posts: 6
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@party-chef

?ÿ

Hahaha. You're right. It is not a newborn but it works very well (I'm sure the problem we talked about above is not a fault of the software) and it was kept in optimal conditions. It is also true that the RCS controller is obsolete (it works very well though) but why replace something that still works? The TS (apart from the problem with refl tape, wich I am sure I will solve) does the same things as a newer TS. I only need to buy a rugged tablet (wich I intend to do) with Carlson or FieldGenius software and a Parani bluetooth adapter to be more current. I am not a stingy person nor an old-fashioned one, but as long as the TS is still working very well, what sense would it make to buy another one?


 
Posted : April 23, 2021 7:10 am
anonymous_9036
(@Anonymous 9036)
Posts: 1216
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@alphabootis

I'm using the Parani on a tps1200 and it works fine except I'm having issues with range, in certain situations. The tablet has long range Bluetooth and I have an 8" antenna pointed towards the backsight and it still loses connection at less than 100m sometimes. I have gotten as far as 185m under better conditions and it was still going, I was just testing max range and turned around because I was running out of time.?ÿ

I ordered a usb Bluetooth adapter with large antenna also, for the tablet. Hopefully it will connect to the Parani and increase my range when needed.?ÿ

What kind of range does the RCS have?


 
Posted : April 23, 2021 10:46 am
party-chef
(@party-chef)
Posts: 988
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@alphabootis

I would drive it till it drops and do an upgrade all at once, throwing another piece of hardware at it might restrict your choices when you need to do a TS replacement.

Old Leica soft is the best, most of the new stuff in general is no upgrade.?ÿ

Solid guns they were. I remember once the battery died and my party chief was all excited to go to the electronics store and buy a video camera battery because he was under the impression that they were the same but the guy at counter was like "those batteries are old fashioned and we do not carry them anymore".


 
Posted : April 23, 2021 5:02 pm
john-putnam
(@john-putnam)
Posts: 2467
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@alphabootis

Leica's prism offset is not the true offset but rather standardized around the original circular prism which Leica calls 0 mm.?ÿ The true offset for the prism is 34.4 mm.?ÿ When you are shooting the reflective tape the 34.4 mm offset that Leica reports is actually 0.?ÿ This is the same offset used by the reflectorless laser so you should not have a problem there.?ÿ As for the size of the 'cone', Leica's reflectorless beam is quite tight.?ÿ Unless you are shooting at a sharp angle to the surface over a long distance, I don't think you will fine much in the way of error.?ÿ I should be noted that the laser pointing does need to be periodically checked and adjusted to fit match the cross hairs.


 
Posted : April 24, 2021 8:21 am
anonymous_9036
(@Anonymous 9036)
Posts: 1216
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@party-chef

They do seem to last forever.?ÿ


 
Posted : April 24, 2021 6:07 pm

mag-eye
(@mag-eye)
Posts: 176
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I never used the reflective tape. Can the are even be activated with that prism setting?


 
Posted : April 24, 2021 6:16 pm
mag-eye
(@mag-eye)
Posts: 176
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

ATR


 
Posted : April 24, 2021 6:17 pm
AlphaBootis
(@alphabootis)
Posts: 6
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Problem solved. It was as stupid as I expected. I turned off the ATR (as

cf.67 suggested) and the Lock option as well, and it works fine.?ÿ
?ÿ
All the best guys.

 
Posted : April 28, 2021 4:18 am
brad-ott
(@brad-ott)
Posts: 6178
Member Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@alphabootis oh happy day!

If you feel some value here you might consider dropping some dollars in the tip jar for our kind hosts. ?ÿSee link in my signature line below.


 
Posted : April 28, 2021 7:37 am