AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

2014 poll

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
826 Views
Randy Hambright
(@randy-hambright)
Posts: 744
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Well, 2014 has come and almost gone.

How did this year treat you and your business?

I would say that we saw a 40% increase in business and a 30% increase in profit from 2013.

Increase in profit per job rose quite nicely since we were able to charge a good price per job.

Put a little in savings for the first time in a few years.

I bought 2 new trucks in 2014 and spent some money in upgrades that was needed.

Hope it keeps up!!!

Randy


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 6:28 am
nysrs91
(@nysrs91)
Posts: 5
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Good. Let's hope its contagious.


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 7:07 am
djames
(@djames)
Posts: 850
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Did 40% better than last year . got extra money , will save some and re- invest back into company , new truck and robot.
God blessed us this year. Best since 07..


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 9:56 am
holy-cow
(@holy-cow)
Posts: 26020
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Always had more to do than we had time to get done. I guess that's a good thing.


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 10:32 am
paden-cash
(@paden-cash)
Posts: 11086
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Added two employees, two units & data collectors. Still have a stack o' jobs that need tendin' to.

As for whether it was profitable or not...I'll let you know March 14. 😉


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 12:55 pm

ctompkins
(@ctompkins)
Posts: 615
Member Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

That seems to be the general consensus from those I have spoken with over the last couple of months also. We did well considering we are newbies, but I hope it keeps up and continues to grow....exponentially!!


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 1:25 pm
cptdent
(@cptdent)
Posts: 2082
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

2014 was NOT a good year for the company that I worked with over 35 years. Prior years we would have 150-200 jobs per year. This year, 20. True, some were long term BIG jobs.
Bottom line is that now there are 4 people in the office and two field crews. I am not included in that number any more. The field crews are getting 24-32 hours per week.
I got very lucky. Finding a job at 67 is not easy unless you want to be a Door Nazi at WalMart. Another engineering/surveying firm that we had done work for in the past called me after a few weeks of "Retirement" and said that they had just heard that I was laid off and made me an offer that I could not refuse. (I may be old, but I am not senile yet.)
They seem to have some work coming up, so maybe I won't shut this one down. The hard part is that they want me to covert their drafting department to my standards. There will be resistance. I will be trying to teach engineering drafters how to add a cartographic touch to the drawings to get the "look" that the new boss says I am known for. This isn't going to be easy and , at first, it's not going to be fun. People are just so resistant to change, especially those who set up the original system. (I've already been told, "On our drawings we only use ONE text style for everything.") +o(
Hopefully things will pick up for everyone in my area soon. Central Mississippi is just not where it's at right now.


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 4:08 pm
paden-cash
(@paden-cash)
Posts: 11086
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

"Door Nazi" joke

hope you enjoy this...

Ratty looking young mother drags her two urchins into Wal-Mart. Door greeter tries to be pleasant and she grumbles at him.

"Oh what nice children" he says, "Are they twins?"

The mother fires back, "They're two years apart! What makes you think they're twins?!"

The door greeter replies, "Lady, I'm just having a hard time believing someone had sex with you twice."

:pinch:

(man we are old...door greeter jokes no less!)


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 4:43 pm
mattsib79
(@mattsib79)
Posts: 376
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

This was my first full year in business. The Lord has blessed me and my family! I have grossed in the $95K range. I couldn't have asked for any more.

Matt


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 5:15 pm
nate-the-surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Posts: 10538
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

CptDent

Would you mind sending me a pdf, or an acad dwg, so I can look at what you mean? I'll send you a couple of mine too.

N


 
Posted : December 26, 2014 9:07 pm

tommy-young
(@tommy-young)
Posts: 2405
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I hope you're not paying any help out of that.


 
Posted : December 27, 2014 9:21 am
James Johnston
(@james-johnston)
Posts: 624
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Even if he did, I think it is a good number for a first year in business.


 
Posted : December 27, 2014 9:53 am
mattsib79
(@mattsib79)
Posts: 376
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

No I am solo. I think business was pretty good. I have enough work to stay busy. Really busy during the summer and a little slower now but still have work booked up.


 
Posted : December 27, 2014 11:54 am
sonofa
(@sonofa)
Posts: 79
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Regular clients call more often with new clients and referrals up also.

I attribute alot of this to the oil/gas boom in our area.


 
Posted : December 27, 2014 6:06 pm
tommy-young
(@tommy-young)
Posts: 2405
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Good job. I saw you at the OPUS class in Frankfort. I meant to introduce myself, but you weren't there on day 2.


 
Posted : December 27, 2014 8:40 pm

mattsib79
(@mattsib79)
Posts: 376
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Wish I would have known you were there. I was so crazy busy during that week I couldn't make it back on day two. Next time I am down in your neck of the woods, I'll look you up.


 
Posted : December 27, 2014 9:41 pm
i-ben-havin
(@i-ben-havin)
Posts: 495
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Here in North Florida, If 2010 was a 10
then:
2011 = 10.4
2012 = 6.6
2013 = 5.1
2013 = 5.2

Just trying to survive...
Of course 2010 was only about a fourth of 2006's gross.
Glad to know others are doing good.


 
Posted : December 27, 2014 10:18 pm