Trimble Business Center — Produce final deliverables in one workspace. Start free trial.

AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

HP Handheld Conference 2023

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
1,367 Views
field-dog
(@field-dog)
Posts: 1582
Member
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

This post may be of particular interest to Florida surveyors. The annual HP Handheld Conference is being held in Orlando this year. I'm particularly excited about this because I've never attended one before, and I'm an HP calculator enthusiast dating back to 1990. Two registered surveyors from my office have expressed interest in going. It would be great to have our own group of Florida surveyors in attendance at the conference. Please go to the link below for more information.

https://hhuc.us/2023/index.htm


 
Posted : May 28, 2023 9:34 am
brad-ott
(@brad-ott)
Posts: 6178
Member Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Cool, man.


 
Posted : May 28, 2023 2:10 pm
bill93
(@bill93)
Posts: 10006
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

HP made good stuff. I still use two HP15c calculators, one dating back to 1981; thats 42 years this fall.

There aren't a lot of electronic devices from then still in everyday use.

Another that comes close is my Korg guitar tuner from maybe 1985 that my wife still uses for the 80-some strings on her hammered dulcimer. They still sell one that looks almost the same but the guts have been redesigned.


 
Posted : May 28, 2023 3:15 pm
Samthesurveyor
(@samthesurveyor)
Posts: 13
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

HP 41CX with a surveying module and an extended memory card. Use it every day. 


 
Posted : May 29, 2023 8:19 am
Gordon Svedberg
(@gordon-svedberg)
Posts: 626
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I use an HP 200LX palmtop, with original leather case.


 
Posted : May 29, 2023 8:30 am

john-putnam
(@john-putnam)
Posts: 2467
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I still have my original 41cx from 1984.  Mandatory for all incoming engineering freshmen at Oregon State University.  They were made down the street from the school.

I also have a 48 and 50.  The 50 sits on my desk and is the go-to there.  The 48, which I inherited from a deceased friend, travels with me.  It is only fitting he left me the 48, and his 41, since he lost my 48 and solar chip years ago.


 
Posted : May 29, 2023 1:25 pm
edward-reading
(@edward-reading)
Posts: 559
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I still have my original 41cx from 1984.  Mandatory for all incoming engineering freshmen at Oregon State University.  They were made down the street from the school.

I also have a 48 and 50.  The 50 sits on my desk and is the go-to there.  The 48, which I inherited from a deceased friend, travels with me.  It is only fitting he left me the 48, and his 41, since he lost my 48 and solar chip years ago.

You rarely hear people talk about the HP-50. It's a great little machine and a very capable successor to the 48. I love mine, and running Cogo+ on it does everything I need in a very efficient manner.

 


 
Posted : May 29, 2023 1:55 pm
FL/GA PLS
(@flga-pls)
Posts: 7403
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I used a HP25 for my Florida exam in 1978. Umm yea 45 years ago! You were not allowed to use a preprogrammed calculator but you were allowed to use a programmable one. The 25 had room for 50 or 51 or 49 program steps. I wrote a simple cogo program for it. “Simple” in this case means it took me at least 2 weeks of debugging in addition to 3 weeks of “programming” it. Anyway it worked for me and it was very helpful in the math stuff.  


 
Posted : May 29, 2023 2:34 pm
chris-mills
(@chris-mills)
Posts: 715
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@samthesurveyor 

Same here, several times a day!


 
Posted : May 30, 2023 7:07 am
shawn-billings
(@shawn-billings)
Posts: 2691
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I still have my original 41cx from 1984.  Mandatory for all incoming engineering freshmen at Oregon State University.  They were made down the street from the school.

I also have a 48 and 50.  The 50 sits on my desk and is the go-to there.  The 48, which I inherited from a deceased friend, travels with me.  It is only fitting he left me the 48, and his 41, since he lost my 48 and solar chip years ago.

You rarely hear people talk about the HP-50. It's a great little machine and a very capable successor to the 48. I love mine, and running Cogo+ on it does everything I need in a very efficient manner.

 

I have a 50g and a 49g+. The 49g+ has a lot of programs in it that I use all the time. I have a map closure routine, curve routines, coordinate calculator, that I wrote and use often. I also have a really nice geodetic program that allows me to do conversions from SPC to LLH and to other user created projections. It's very slick. I like having a device that is not and cannot be connected to the internet. It just works, day after day after day.

 


 
Posted : May 31, 2023 2:02 pm