Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Other's Names Changed
Voicemail received:?ÿ Hey Jon, this is Will W., you did a survey for me and Bob B. a couple of years ago and I'm trying to get new insurance and they're looking for a plat.?ÿ Please give me a call back 555-555-5555.?ÿ Thank you.
My thoughts:?ÿ First, what has a plat to do with getting insurance.?ÿ I've never heard that one before.?ÿ Then, Will W.?ÿ Bob B., I don't recognize either of those names.
So when I get back to the office, before returning the call, I have a quick look and see that neither Will W. or Bob B. is in my logs as a client.?ÿ So that means it probably wasn't?ÿ "couple of years ago".
I return the call.
Me:?ÿ Hi, I'm returning a call about a survey.?ÿ I've had a look and don't find either you or Bob B. listed as a client in my logs and I don't recall either of your names within the past couple of years.?ÿ Can you refresh my memory.?ÿ Do you have a more specific date or even a specific location.
Caller:?ÿ Yes.?ÿ I have a copy of the deed here and it says June 9th, 2005.?ÿ It is located at the end of Said Street.?ÿ There is no recorded plat {not a recording state} at the courthouse, and they said to contact you.
Me:?ÿ {Pull up the tax records online}?ÿ Ok.?ÿ I know which property you are talking about, but I did not survey that for you or Bob B.?ÿ I actually surveyed that three years before Bob B. purchased from the people who purchased it from the people who I did the survey for.?ÿ Those people received several signed and stamped copies of the survey along with a sheet of directions on how to record the survey at the clerk's office if they decided to do so - although not required in our county.
Caller:?ÿ {Not even remotely abashed at a false claim that I surveyed a property for him or the person he bought from}?ÿ Well, is there any way I can get a copy of it.?ÿ I've got the deed and I tried to draw it up, but couldn't.?ÿ Then I tried to get it drawn up over at {regional university}.?ÿ They told me it needed to be done by a licensed surveyor.?ÿ If I had the plat, I could find the corners.?ÿ I have a engineering degree from regional university {no, you have an engineering technology degree, not that there is anything wrong with that as I have the same degree.?ÿ But, combined with much of the rest of the discussion, I see that you play a little fast and loose with stating things correctly} and I can probably borrow a transit from them {oh boy, that doesn't sound like it could remotely cause any problems}.
Me:?ÿ In your initial call, you indicated you needed the plat for insurance purposes.?ÿ How does that come into play with what you have just described to me?
Caller:?ÿ Oh, I am going to be opening a gun range and to get insured, they need a plat so they can see how the shop and range sit on the property.
Me:?ÿ The survey I did will not show any of those things as there weren't any buildings on the property when I surveyed it 18 years ago.
?ÿ
Basically the same Ring.Ring I've posted before.?ÿ But it still amazes me that every once in a while I get someone contacting me who thinks I've surveyed "for them" just because they bought a property I once surveyed as much as 20 years ago.
Two words for you if you choose to take this survey:
Upfront payment.
Buyers are liars and sellers are story tellers.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
Two words for you if you choose to take this survey:
Upfront payment.
Three additional words....
NO F@#$+&! WAY!
money talks, cash screams
Such calls are not uncommon at all for those of us who focus on boundary surveying for the general public, etc. If they MUST have a survey, they WILL fork over the money. They will grumble, they will gripe, but they WILL pay because you have them by the short and curlys. No product without payment in full.
The old game of claiming I did it for them doesn't work very well. It is rare when I have no memory of a job that I've put my JOHN HENRY on.
A call you may not have received if you were in a recording state.
As Kris Morgan ( don’t see him on here much) would say…. I jump for cash, b1$#*
I mean, if they guy paid me upfront, I'd absolutely go do this job. What I've found over the years is that it's best to tell them upfront that you did the survey and that NO, I can't give you a copy for a host of reasons, most of them being confidentiality to my client, and that they wouldn't want something I did for them, given to another, without their consent. Depending on whether or not this feels like a live one, I might tell them who I did it for and let them spin their wheels trying to find and contact them to get a copy. Then when they come back, I explain the "deep discount" I can give since I've already done it, certify to them, et cetera. In this particular case, I'd want to have an email thread with them and their insurance company so that I could give the right product for the project since they may have some oddball ALTA requirement for something like this. If they're unwilling to enter even that far, then I'd politely pass on the project and think nothing of it afterwards. While I would (and do) Jump For Cash B1tch, I'm less likely to now that I'm a bit older, especially if something doesn't smell right.
Thank God I work in a recording state!
I have the same thing happen all the time and it is a PIA.
In fairness, who else do you think a downstream owner will call about an unrecorded survey?
If you want to avoid this, record the surveys yourself.
Even in my recording state (Oregon) I get calls all the time from past clients "I can't find the copy you sent me, can I get another copy". In Oregon they are available on line.
There are almost no surveys that we don't record, it's more rare than not. Those old Mortgage inspection surveys are some of them. Sometimes I get a call about one of them. From 35 years ago. But the ones that are really annoying are when they want a recorded one. Unless you're a special client, not gonna happen. Just go to the courthouse and pick it up.
A call you may not have received if you were in a recording state.
Yeah, but then I might be on here complaining about the high fees associated with reviews, my fellow licensees not recording in a timely manner, or some unlicensed person with minimal knowledge reviewing drawings and telling me I need to change something on a survey plat because they don't like the way it looks.
Don't underestimate me, I can find something to complain about.
There have been some rumbles here in Kentucky from a few people about revisiting the idea of a recording law. Don't know where it will go or if it will fall to the wayside again. I'm not opposed, but want to make sure we are doing so in a sensible way that does not result in outrageous fees and/or unneeded review/oversight from offices that shouldn't be involved.
In fairness, who else do you think a downstream owner will call about an unrecorded survey?
Not complaining about a call about an unrecorded survey so much as the 'inaccurate' claims which are (usually) intentionally framed to make it sound like the caller was somehow in the mix when the survey was made.
@bstrand probably would still get the call, but hopefully with less b.s. since the original survey didn't show the shooting range.
@jon-payne seems easy enough to make sure there aren't any outrageous fees. One way is to just state that no review can be required, other than same review all other recorded documents get (usually just format and signature check).
I understand complaints from places like California where surveyors have to pay a third party to review their work before they are allowed to do the required recording, but I find the arguments against creating a permanent public record of our work devaluing of our proffesion.

