Trimble Business Center — Produce final deliverables in one workspace. Start free trial.

AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

Carlson 2017

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
1,117 Views
mag-eye
(@mag-eye)
Posts: 176
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Just got Carlson 2017. I have been using Land Desktop since I've entered this profession... 17 years ago or so.

First of many posts I'm sure. First off what is very unsettling for me is the data reduction process as I have been converting to .fbk data format with all my years with LD. (Just about puked the first time I saw Carlson‰Ûªs spreadsheet style process raw data screen)
I am currently using a Leica ts15i which has a few formats (autodesk fbk / tds rw5 / tds raw / and even a Carlson rw5) .for exporting data. Is there anybody using same or similar that could recommend a preferred format? Not really sure if any of these formats provide any cleaner data in the Carlson edit-process raw file routine.

I would also welcome any feedback on how others are importing there data into Carlson.

Oh yah the Carlson survey package we got is with intellicad‰Û? Im getting the feeling that this is gona make the learning curve a bit steeper.


 
Posted : October 7, 2016 1:08 pm
flyin-solo
(@flyin-solo)
Posts: 1676
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

rw5 is so close to fbk it shouldn't take you but one or two files to figure it out.

it's super seamless.

that said, i almost never edit raw data in the CAD software. i always open the rw5/fbk/etc in notepad and just edit it there. always been faster that way for me.

if you're coming straight from LDD don't be scared- it'll get really intuitive really quickly. if you were coming from C3D it might be another story.


 
Posted : October 7, 2016 1:11 pm
erwsdot
(@erwsdot)
Posts: 68
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I second Flying solo, you'll get used what the rw5 all means. Remember RAW is RAW no editing. Edit point file


 
Posted : October 7, 2016 1:19 pm
Mark Indzeris
(@mark-indzeris)
Posts: 146
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

erwsdot, post: 394370, member: 6038 wrote: I second Flying solo, you'll get used what the rw5 all means. Remember RAW is RAW no editing. Edit point file

Best solution is to save the original raw file in a dc or download directory, and work with a copy in another directory. That way when you screw something up you have a backup.
As far as

MAG-EYE, post: 394363, member: 8763 wrote: (Just about puked the first time I saw Carlson‰Ûªs spreadsheet style process raw data screen)

Fbk is stone age line processing. I was forced into LDD and C3D after having used Carlson and have always been shocked that Autodesk never upgraded their adjustment software given the prices that they charge. LDD never reduced angle sets correctly for Trimble DC files at the old company. Was forced to reduce them and enter them by hand. Talk about an error prone process. Carlson Raw File Editor- one command and you even get a report.


 
Posted : October 9, 2016 6:52 am
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
Posts: 3371
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

MAG-EYE, post: 394363, member: 8763 wrote: Is there anybody using same or similar that could recommend a preferred format?

You might try reducing your data using SurvNet, which is built into Carlson. But generally I'd just suggest you give it time, in a couple weeks you will be liking Carlson just fine.


 
Posted : October 9, 2016 9:41 am