AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
murphy
murphy
@murphy
Member
Joined: April 15, 2015 2:28 pm
Last seen: September 29, 2026 6:54 pm
Topics: 37 / Replies: 921
Reply
RE: "Substitute" PK Nails

I usually purchase gin spindles online, but now that Norman mentioned it, maybe I should stop by gin factory on a rainy day with a bucket and ask for ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Unwritten rule against this?

It's an unwritten rule for sure, but it spotlights another area where the land surveying community could improve, standardizing monumentation. It woul...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: "Substitute" PK Nails

After speaking with a paving crew operating cold planers, I can no longer justify setting metal objects in asphalt. Like many PLSs, I'm not fond of wi...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Thinking of leaving CA…

Do some research on where people in the US are moving to and where they're moving from, then look at the average age of the populace. If economics is ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Building Setbacks on a ROS

Chris, it's a recognition that the audience for any given plat is difficult to predict. I make my maps for sophisticated and unsophisticated parties a...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: VRS versus Base / Rover

BC-Surveyor recently posted a video about this, take a look: GNSS Corrections Compared - RTK vs RTN vs RTX & How to Build a Geodnet Base

1 year ago
Reply
RE: working below sea level

That's amazing. Before electricity, would it have been possible to keep a lantern lit in that environment?

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Building Setbacks on a ROS

There's a difference between stating that one is not an attorney and stating that an opinion has not included the oversight of an attorney. Too many ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Building Setbacks on a ROS

I'll do it when a reviewer requests it, but I include a statement similar to, "The setbacks shown are in reference to Town of Annoyingreviewer's 2025 ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Water Frontage?

Firestix Glad it ended well. Communication is much more difficult and more important than most folks realize. I've run into similar issues when loc...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Your state land surveying organization newsletters

Yes, the North Carolina Board of Examiner for Engineers and Surveyors publishes one and the North Carolina Society of Surveyors publishes one as well.

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Site setup with no Control

***Trigger warner, this is not a helpful comment, please don't read it. It'd be amazing to have a global system that would allow all surveyors to me...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Corner marker moved illegally—proven but now what?

I agree with William H though I think he was a bit harsh as the average landowner doesn't know enough about . If you measured between the existing b...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: GIS again

As a PLS who strongly objects to the mandatory recording of retracement surveys, I would agree but only if the intent of pinning parcels to Earth was ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: root mean square workflow?

You should read through the 2023 ASPRS standards. There's some solid advice in between the more technical portions of the document. I would never vie...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: GIS again

Is it ironic or hypocritical for a PLS that doesn't pin or tie their client's parcel to Earth to complain about the inaccuracy of GIS based tax maps (...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: False Point to Compensate for Distance Discrepancy

And that might be precisely the data a California PLS needs in a hundred years! How many more wildfires, earthquakes, landslides, or volcanic erupt...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: False Point to Compensate for Distance Discrepancy

I was on a long drive back from the NC mountains yesterday and I started thinking about what a PLS one hundred years in the future might think about o...

1 year ago
Page 7 / 48