AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
murphy
murphy
@murphy
Member
Joined: April 15, 2015 2:28 pm
Last seen: September 29, 2026 6:54 pm
Topics: 37 / Replies: 921
Reply
RE: Recognizing disturbed pins as being disturbed

Regarding monuments with no pedigree, it depends heavily on the state and sometimes the area. When I surveyed in rural Maine, many of the deeds were b...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Legal principles - Exceptions

I agree with that but I'd label each end of the fence with a letter and include a note similar to, "The boundary between A and B is the existing barbw...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Legal principles - Exceptions

It's the illusion that we're in control that misleads us into thinking that all problems can be solved. This is exacerbated by our preference for simp...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Dwelling?

Wood Frame Dwelling? Report them to the Bar Association and the Board of Architecture for practicing without a license. 😉 Existing Structur...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: What's the weirdest thing found while surveying?

Dead horse, pot plants, meth lab, moonshine still, cave full of thousands (millions?) of ladybugs, and a homeless/druggy encampment with a four foot m...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Part 2 of Perfect Measurers versus Perfect Measurers

Agreed but with a caveat, find the best available evidence then measure it with a high degree of precision. I've retraced sixty-year-old surveys pe...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Earthquake chaos

@jimcox I'm mostly being flippant here, but are you saying that there's no value in New Zealand to tie a boundary to a geodetic datum? If so, at wh...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Earthquake chaos

@jim-frame I was under the impression that a long slow accretion or reliction would allow the boundary to follow a stream or other natural boundary...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Earthquake chaos

If the previous surveyor looked as far into the future as he did into the past, he would have tied the parcel to GRS80 (Everest 1830 in Burma), so you...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Localizing to Find Boundary Corners

Others have touched on the mathematical reasons for translating and rotating, I'll add that there's value in visualizing the discrepancy between field...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Florida License Option-1

@lurker Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed the four year experience requirement in Option-1.

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Topographic Survey Requirements in WA

While I don't necessarily disagree with the board holding us to a standard, it's hard to square this with the general lack of anything similar being a...

1 year ago
Topic
Replies: 3
Views: 2618
Reply
RE: Todays office

Thanks for sharing. I haven't made it back to Alaska since my father passed away fifteen years ago. Prior to that we went often and, in-between filli...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Encroachment

@mightymoe Most states have no requirement that boundary surveys be tied to geodetic reference system. Typically when it's brought up, PLSs will a...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Mapping Negligence

NCDOT engineers have to be the best. While average PEs cheat the taxpayer by using simplistic straight lines and horizontal curves, our PEs can desig...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Subdivision VS. Recombination

@wonderwoman9 I have a canned statement that I copy and paste into an email that I then schedule send to the client for around 45 days after I deli...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Baby Wipes

Ditto, they're also great for car camping and backpacking.

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Encroachment

Surveyors could be part of the solution to this confusion if we stopped making excuses for PLSs lacking the discipline to understand geodetic referenc...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Subdivision VS. Recombination

Since you're reading Brown, which seems to be where many surveyors get the idea that they can't provide recommendations concerning legal processes rel...

1 year ago
Page 6 / 48