AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
murphy
murphy
@murphy
Member
Joined: April 15, 2015 2:28 pm
Last seen: September 29, 2026 6:54 pm
Topics: 37 / Replies: 921
Reply
RE: Topographic Survey Requirements in WA

@eapls2708 That's a great assessment. I see many examples of what you described in the UAS surveying world. There are many technically competent pi...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

I've witnessed pincushions causing confusion amongst landowners more than any other feeling or emotion. Most of the pincushions I see in North Carol...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

The better question is, "How many land owners understand their property survey after I hand them their plat?" It's more useful to dwell on things with...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: Licensed folk - what are your Do's and Don'ts?

Do: Create a spreadsheet or similar for calculating your proposals, even small ones. It should be a work in progress where you can continue to add or ...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: South Carolina State Specific

Ditto mdavis's comment. Make sure you can recognize some of the regulatory agencies involved in zoning and permitting around the coast and tidal water...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: Single Total Station Instrument Setup Boundary Survey

@jim-frame I wasn't suggesting three D&R shots to each point except for closely located points. Perfect is the enemy of good when creating sta...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: Single Total Station Instrument Setup Boundary Survey

Locating everything from a single setup is acceptable in NC as long as you can calculate the relative positional accuracy and it meets the specs. Gene...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: Responsibility

There are numerous situations, even outside natural disasters, that require a PLS to use the tangible evidence, what can be seen and measured, even th...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Highway ROW and engineers

Folks that enjoy math will find a way to use it.

1 year ago
Reply
RE: 3D Scanning Manholes

I've done a few sewer asset inventories where that would have been useful and would likely have made us money. Even with a big mirror or high lumen li...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Your Marketing Success

Once I was given access to budgeting data spanning over a decade, I was able to see patterns and get a better understanding of the types of projects t...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: My boundary is a stone wall. Where is the line?

Great topic, and it shines light on the difficulty of doing the right thing without bankrupting oneself. It's so much easier surveying RoWs in states ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Can the legs of a traverse cross?

I agree, at worst it feels like fraud, at best it hints that we don't understand significant digits. I am required to list acreage to the thousandth o...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Recognizing disturbed pins as being disturbed

From what I can tell, it relates to there being no potential for a given boundary monument to greatly impact noncontiguous parcels within the Colonial...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Can the legs of a traverse cross?

Balancing angles and "adjusting" traverses is the least valuable aspect of least squares for me. As others have mentioned, if you're having difficulty...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Aspiring surveyor in my first year of classes - give me your best advice!

If you can afford it, working for a Mom and Pop shop that focuses on boundary surveying for a year or two will give you experience that is typically h...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Missing property corner survey pins?

I can't remember if it was a New Hampshire rule or one set by the town, but they required that the developer set the lot corners or verify their exist...

1 year ago
Page 5 / 48