AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all
MountainHermit
MountainHermit
@mountainhermit
Member
Joined: October 25, 2011 6:54 pm
Last seen: September 22, 2026 11:16 am
Topics: 0 / Replies: 45
Reply
RE: Where were you surveying 25 years ago 9/11?

I had just gotten to work in the survey dept of the City of Lakewood in CO. Didn't know about it, just a normal coffee-filled morning when a crew chie...

2 weeks ago
Reply
RE: Florida will let your crew sit for the exam if you sign a letter. Would you?

Not sure I would sign. I do believe in an apprenticeship option, but someone with just book study or just fieldwork makes me pause. I believe that the...

3 weeks ago
Reply
RE: Plan Checking - A Horse of a Different Color

I'm with MightyMoe on this one. As a control surveyor, I have made some good money following control surveys done by others. Too many control points i...

1 month ago
Reply
RE: Question about RTN Field Procedure

Those occupation times for the RTN are not adequate for a defensible boundary position if there should be a dispute that goes to court. Just sayin' ...

2 months ago
Reply
RE: Mile High marker in Denver

Here's an article on it:/p> It's a strange article to me since it makes no mention at all about the different vertical datums, and what's a centimet...

2 months ago
Reply
RE: Schonstedt over the other brands.

I've had a CST Berger in my truck for 20 years and it works just fine for me. I liked the Schonstedts too when I used them, but I don't see lots of di...

2 months ago
Reply
RE: The NSPS NEWS LETTER

I don't believe I've ever gotten it even though through the New Mexico society I was supposed to be a member.

2 months ago
Reply
RE: GPS Collection with a Disto

I've done a number of topo's and as-builts with GPS/GNSS plus Disto. But I did not integrate the Disto readings into my controller. Distance Distance ...

4 months ago
Reply
RE: Navigating in the forest with a compass

I got lost in the forest once upon a time, driving. Lost the road and ended up in a stream bed with trees all around. Truck influenced my compass need...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Career crossroads

I'm with Holy-Cow on this one. I went to a city job years ago, 5 years until vesting for retirement, boundary, engineering and construction work so lo...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: How should I respond

Are you sure? You know that these days they do successfully do lung transplants.

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Witness Monuments

It sounds like KS doesn't differentiate between witness and reference monuments. There is the BLM way, and there is the geodetic way. Witness marks ge...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Measurement issues in providing reference measurements to locate existing monuments

So Gene, when you rotate those stones back in to make them upright, don't you change the orientation of the chiseled lines indicating the direction an...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Bad reference station in VRS??

Sounds like you might want to check your communications in those areas. You've been doing this stuff long enough that you can check the CORS position,...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: I just don’t get people

Arrogant idiots. IMO the more money they have the stupider they are. We had a few in my neighborhood that built into platted easements because they we...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Discrepancy Between VRS (Company 1) and Base Station/Rover (Company 2)

[/quote] I had this insane conversation/argument with a very opinionated engineer that told me they got a precise location for the Washington monume...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Discrepancy Between VRS (Company 1) and Base Station/Rover (Company 2)

Call me old fashioned. I say never establish control with RTK. If you can do repeat observations 4 hours later, then you should be able to do a static...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Date?

Efforts are going on to get FEMA into the conversation about the transition to the new datums. Don't hold your breath, but the Federal Geodetic Contro...

7 months ago
Reply
RE: Conversion from EGM96 to NAVD88

Confused. EGM96 is a geoid that is usually applied to the WGS84 ellipsoid for ortho heights. NAVD88 is a vertical datum with heights related to the GR...

7 months ago
Reply
RE: Looking for a couple of books to introduce surveying to 2 people with zero experience. Like a Surveying for Dummies?

Elementary surveying--any edition. The Wolf & Brinker old editions don't have much about satellite surveying, but as a primer on survey basics the...

7 months ago
Page 1 / 3