Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
The issue we're up against is this: We have a civil3d 2012 surface file containing a designed finised grade surface for a couple of projects that we need to 'convert' to be able to use it on the contractor's SCS 900 gps controller. They say they need a dxf file, but the DXF file only comes across as contours and not an actual surface.
I've read that a ttm file should work. Anyone have any experience with this?
Our ability to send files to the contractor to 'try' has been hit and miss as they are technologically challenged. I would just as soon tell them to figure this out but we want to play nice and help the projects move forward.
If you export the surface from C3D (Perhaps as a XML) and import it into Trimble Business Center Heavy Construction edition (Its free for download), you can then export to SCS controller through the export functions.
N10,000, E7,000, Z100.00
PLS - IL, MO, AR, KS, MN, KY
It's looking for a .ttm file. (Terramodel file)
You should be able to export that format from "anywhere". That is your surface.
The .dxf file is for "background line work"
the .csv files are stake points.
> The issue we're up against is this: We have a civil3d 2012 surface file containing a designed finised grade surface for a couple of projects that we need to 'convert' to be able to use it on the contractor's SCS 900 gps controller. They say they need a dxf file, but the DXF file only comes across as contours and not an actual surface.
>
> I've read that a ttm file should work. Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Our ability to send files to the contractor to 'try' has been hit and miss as they are technologically challenged. I would just as soon tell them to figure this out but we want to play nice and help the projects move forward.
Yes a ttm will work. In their data manager they need to be sure they are not putting the dxf where the surface goes.
> Yes a ttm will work. In their data manager they need to be sure they are not putting the dxf where the surface goes.
You can't (in my software), it will only accept a .ttm file for the surface.
In my data manager you can put any .ttm,.pro,.xml or .dxf as the surface. That doesnt mean it will work right, but you can put it in there.
> If you export the surface from C3D (Perhaps as a XML) and import it into Trimble Business Center Heavy Construction edition (Its free for download), you can then export to SCS controller through the export functions.
Unfortunately we have no way of connecting to their unit. They say they typically receive the files and upload them through a usb. Will this allow me to export the file and then copy it over? Or is it a direct connect/export like civil3d has?
I have had issues with Civil3d exporting ttm format. Export an XML of the surface and use Trimble Business Center - HCE to write a ttm.
Yes. In the export (in TBC) menu you can select the file destination and then just place it on your desktop. From there you can copy it to the thumb drive.
N10,000, E7,000, Z100.00
PLS - IL, MO, AR, KS, MN, KY
I have used the Trimble Link download program for Civil 3d and it has worked seamlessly.
Trimble Link Download Support
> I have used the Trimble Link download program for Civil 3d and it has worked seamlessly.
> Trimble Link Download Support
That was initially my plan but the contractor has no way of connecting to our CPU and Civil3d won't let me export a file without that connection. Or am i missing something?
> Yes. In the export (in TBC) menu you can select the file destination and then just place it on your desktop. From there you can copy it to the thumb drive.
I downloaded and installed the TBC HCE free edition and imported my surface from Cad. When i go to the export options the only item i see related to the SCS900 is SCS900 Tunnel XML exporter and i doubt that is correct for a simple surface. What am I missing?
You dont get all of these?

I do, thank you! I just wasn't sure which of the multitude of export options was correct as I am definitely not familiar with this software. We'll give it a shot and see how it goes.
Thanks again.
After further review....they do not have a GCS900, they have an SCS900. Are the file types the GCS900 exported, the .cfg and .svd able to be used on the SCS900. This wouldn't be so diffcult if I had the unit here to test things on, sorry for all the questions.
GCS900 is the machine control software on the equipment, SCS900 is in the survey controller. Don't need the svd or cfg for it.
I hate SCS900.
email me the tbc file you have.
robert.barton at kiewit dotcom
ps you should be able to download an scs900 emulator
I used Civil 3D and SCS900. When I need to put a surface into the controller I first export a LandXML file from Civil 3D then import that into Trible Business Center. I then export it from TBC to a file folder with my name of choice. It can then be loaded into the controller using hard-wire or USB.....so if you can get to this point you'll be able to give the file to the end-user.
> I used Civil 3D and SCS900. When I need to put a surface into the controller I first export a LandXML file from Civil 3D then import that into Trible Business Center. I then export it from TBC to a file folder with my name of choice. It can then be loaded into the controller using hard-wire or USB.....so if you can get to this point you'll be able to give the file to the end-user.
What type of file go you export from TBC? We're at this point and from what I've read it appears the TTM file from TBC will do the trick.
:good: