Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
For all of you who still own those old reliable 5600's you might start planning ahead for your next purchase.
After almost 20 years (including the Geodimeter 600 series) the 5600 has reached retirement age.
Trimble announced End of Service (EOS). EOS means that Trimble is no longer supplying service parts or servicing them. I am sure there are a few dealers that are following suite and others deciding to maintain service on them as long as they can get parts from other dealers or on the secondary market.
I am sure minor adjustments & battery replacements will be no problem for the next year or so, but as time goes on they become less and less profitable for a dealership to service.
I remember when the S6 came out in 2004! it is already 10+ years old and with the EOS announcment on the 5600 I'll bet....
JSW
> After almost 20 years (including the Geodimeter 600 series) the 5600 has reached retirement age.
I'm sure that some egghead at Trimble Corporate has a spreadsheet that proves beyond a shadow of doubt that this is a great decision on their part, but I think that it is going to cost them a lot of goodwill. A lot.
After all these years the 5600 remains a viable instrument in regular service with a lot of outfits.
I think it's called planned obsolescence
They had a nice run. I still use my Geodimeter 600 everyday and I'll be sad when it dies. I know a former Trimble/Geodimeter salesman who now runs an independent shop, and he stockpiled 600/5600 on trade-ins, etc., and says he enough parts to keep mine running for as long as I want ... but I think when this goes out I'll probably buy another top-of-the-line robot and keep on truckin'.
But keeping them alive for 20 years is about all you can ask for. Now, Ashtech kind of ticked me off with their Locus ... as I recall, the sold them until about 2004, then EOL'ed them almost immediately after their inventory had sold out. There was no service available.
But, 3 of my 5 Locus still work, and I still use them to add static to some of my jobs.
I think it's called planned obsolescence
Back at my old place of employment, we were a Leica shop and the dealer promised service for at least 10 years after sale. That might work out to 20 years if they sell the particular unit for 10 years. Not sure what Topcon's policy is. Hopefully at least as long seeing that I just bought one.
I recently had a 5601 & 5605 repaired at Seiler in St. Louis. Replaced an onboard radio on the 5605 and the EDM on the 5605, both with used parts. Couldn't get it done on LI for lack of parts.
We still have a couple of Geodimeter 440's, oldest purchased in March 1988, which we use in locations where there is a significant risk to the instrument, mainly coal sites.
Our local Trimble dealer has always been most supportive of these, probably because he was brought up with Geodimeters. However, he also manages to keep a good supply of spare bits for our 5600 - I sometimes wonder if he tells larger organisations to trade their old equipment in, just so he gets spare parts for us!
My first robot was a Geodometer 4700 with the rod mounted control panel, about 1995? (I think that was the number and it was as heavy as a 100 lb dog, but just as reliable). A guy named Jon Magnuson from Kentucky was the regional sales guy, good man. I also got in bed with Terramodel and it was all good.
Then along comes Uncle Trimble and messed up the whole works. They bought my Geodometer for I think around $4K on the trade in, and I got my first 5600 for around $20K. Nice gun, but sure didn't deliver what the old Geo did, sadly. Then they bought Terramodel and screwed that all up too.
Now out here in sunny AZ, I have a new 5600. Nice gun. Likely my last one I'll ever buy, especially if it has Trimble on the name tag.
Just sayin'
I've never used a 5600, but I'm using a Geodimeter 600 till it can't be repaired. My co. waits until something breaks, then replaces it (when they have the funds). I'll go with something Lecia or Topcon next go around.
Trimble's planned obsolescence has caused me to go elsewhere "JAVAD" when my 5800 went dead.
We recently had a 5601 in for routine preventative maintenance. While it was in the shop I was told by an acquaintance: "you better get a new instrument because they aren't servicing the 5600s anymore! I took mine in recently and they said this would be the last time they service it!" (Yes, this was the same shop.) So I called the shop and explained what I'd been told. I ended up having a frank discussion with an instrument technician who seemed to know the acquaintance I was referring to without me even saying any names. The tech pointed out that said acquaintance has one of the old 450-470MHz radios ("red dot") in his 5600 series. The tech went on to explain that the shop as a whole didn't want to service an instrument in which the user/owner couldn't provide proper evidence of being FCC licensed. The newer "blue dot" 5600 series are 2.4GHz and thus don't require an FCC license.
Is it an excuse to refuse service to an "antique"? Maybe. Is it legitimate? Personally I feel like it is, as the shop is probably breaking some FCC regulation.
This is all under the assumption that I am in full understanding of FCC requirements, so if someone else knows more then feel free to correct me.
We recently had a 5601 in for routine preventative maintenance. While it was in the shop I was told by an acquaintance: "you better get a new instrument because they aren't servicing the 5600s anymore! I took mine in recently and they said this would be the last time they service it!" (Yes, this was the same shop.) So I called the shop and explained what I'd been told. I ended up having a frank discussion with an instrument technician who seemed to know the acquaintance I was referring to without me even saying any names. The tech pointed out that said acquaintance has one of the old 450-470MHz radios ("red dot") in his 5600 series. The tech went on to explain that the shop as a whole didn't want to service an instrument in which the user/owner couldn't provide proper evidence of being FCC licensed. The newer "blue dot" 5600 series are 2.4GHz and thus don't require an FCC license.
Is it an excuse to refuse service to an "antique"? Maybe. Is it legitimate? Personally I feel like it is, as the shop is probably breaking some FCC regulation.
This is all under the assumption that I am in full understanding of FCC requirements, so if someone else knows more then feel free to correct me.