AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

1923 Gurley I Just Bought

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
1,269 Views
DonTen
(@donten)
Posts: 10
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I just bought a 1923 Gurley transit and tripod this morning. At first I thought that it had some steel parts but after looking it over it's solid brass which is nice. Anyway it looks to be in good condition but the 2 big adjuster knobs on the right side do not want to move. I don't want to force them so I thought I would post it here to hopefully get some advise on what to do. Shouldn't they move freely? Thanks in advance.

?ÿ


 
Posted : March 30, 2023 12:13 pm
Grant-Brady
(@grant-brady)
Posts: 122
Member Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Y level not a transit 


 
Posted : March 30, 2023 4:04 pm
john-hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
Posts: 3465
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@grant-brady WYE level


 
Posted : March 30, 2023 8:18 pm
DonTen
(@donten)
Posts: 10
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Yea I figured that out. I emailed Gurley and got my answer. I guess these harden up over time. I will take it apart and lube it. I will get it working again.


 
Posted : March 30, 2023 11:14 pm
Grant-Brady
(@grant-brady)
Posts: 122
Member Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I stand corrected, John. Thanks.


 
Posted : March 31, 2023 12:51 am

NotSoMuch
(@notsomuch)
Posts: 377
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Looks like a beautiful display piece at it's 100th birthday.

 

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it?


 
Posted : April 1, 2023 7:49 am
nate-the-surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Posts: 10538
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Q tip and kerosene.

Dad used to clean his Monroe calculator moving parts with it. It'll soften and dissolve old oil and grease.

N


 
Posted : April 1, 2023 12:01 pm
DonTen
(@donten)
Posts: 10
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@notsomuch I got it for $50. I have completely disassembled it, Lube it, replace the crosshairs and it now works perfect. I think I am going to replace the crosshairs again. I used my own hair and it looks a bit big. I am going to try spider web. I think it will look better when focused. These pics are after all the work was done. Even though the sun glare shield is brass it looks rusted. I think that the paint that was on it had some iron additive in it.


 
Posted : April 11, 2023 2:58 pm
paden-cash
(@paden-cash)
Posts: 11086
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

The "rust" and discoloration on the sun-screen probably came from the salt on the operator's hands.  That's pretty common on brass tools for the areas that were touched often to be somewhat corroded, off-colored and worn. 

I would consider it "patina".  😉 


 
Posted : April 11, 2023 4:05 pm
bill93
(@bill93)
Posts: 10006
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

For crosshairs, you could try taking a polyester sewing thread and unraveling one thin strand out of it.  Not sure how smooth it would be but probably thinner than human hair.


 
Posted : April 11, 2023 4:08 pm

DonTen
(@donten)
Posts: 10
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

For crosshairs, you could try taking a polyester sewing thread and unraveling one thin strand out of it.  Not sure how smooth it would be but probably thinner than human hair.

I think that would be curly and hard to straighten. I am going to try Spider Web first. It is what they used back in the day. I guess brown recluse spider web was considered to be the best . I will say the optics are pretty clear. I can read the small signs on the hospital a half mile from my house.

 


 
Posted : April 11, 2023 8:25 pm
bill93
(@bill93)
Posts: 10006
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I thought it was black widow spider silk that was in highest regard.


 
Posted : April 11, 2023 8:32 pm
jhframe
(@jim-frame)
Posts: 7477
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I am going to try spider web

As I recall, the spider web gets dusted with lampblack to provide contrast.  (I've never replaced any crosshairs, I'm just repeating something I read somewhere.)

Edit:  I just did a search on spider silk crosshairs and lampblack and found nothing, so I must have misremembered.


 
Posted : April 11, 2023 9:19 pm
geeoddmike
(@geeoddmike)
Posts: 1556
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@jim-frame 

Interesting article on black-widow spider silk for crosshairs here: https://owlcation.com/stem/The-patriotic-black-widow-spiders-of-World-War-II   No mention of lamp black…

BTW, Black-widow spiders are under threat from brown-widow spiders see:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2363876-brown-widow-spiders-are-killing-off-black-widows-in-the-southern-us/

 


 
Posted : April 11, 2023 11:11 pm
DonTen
(@donten)
Posts: 10
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I thought it was black widow spider silk that was in highest regard.

According to Wakopedia it's Brown Recluse web that's strong and was used in surveying . From that page

(Surveying and astronomy

In older instruments, reticle crosshairs and stadia marks were made using threads taken from the cocoon of the brown recluse spider. This very fine, strong spider silk makes for an excellent crosshair. )

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reticle

 


 
Posted : April 12, 2023 10:00 am

DonTen
(@donten)
Posts: 10
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@jim-frame 

Interesting article on black-widow spider silk for crosshairs here: https://owlcation.com/stem/The-patriotic-black-widow-spiders-of-World-War-II   No mention of lamp black…

BTW, Black-widow spiders are under threat from brown-widow spiders see:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2363876-brown-widow-spiders-are-killing-off-black-widows-in-the-southern-us/

 

I might use that type web. I have them all over my property here in Florida.

 


 
Posted : April 12, 2023 10:03 am
jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Posts: 4300
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

funny 

 

a bunch of spider slander of the two most venomous spiders from this country....  

 

any spider silk would work but the open question is where is the actual readable and verified proof of the two most venomous spiders silk being used instead of the not quite as venomous wolf spiders that are ubiquitous and easier to obtain?

 

just saying... I'm from Missouri...  Show me!

 

 

 

better article that vindicates the loxecelles and Latrodectus genus....former biology nerd here.

 

https://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1992JATSo...1...10T

 

 

 


 
Posted : April 12, 2023 10:16 am
DonTen
(@donten)
Posts: 10
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

funny 

 

a bunch of spider slander of the two most venomous spiders from this country....  

 

any spider silk would work but the open question is where is the actual readable and verified proof of the two most venomous spiders silk being used instead of the not quite as venomous wolf spiders that are ubiquitous and easier to obtain?

 

just saying... I'm from Missouri...  Show me!

 

 

 

better article that vindicates the loxecelles and Latrodectus genus....former biology nerd here.

 

https://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1992JATSo...1...10T

 

 

 

 

I was just going by what was posted on Wakopidea. But I agree that going after something not so lethal would be a bit smarter  

 


 
Posted : April 12, 2023 3:35 pm
RADAR
(@dougie)
Posts: 7880
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

GIF

 

I remember reading in a manual that you can clean the Vernier with cigarette ashes and spit...


 
Posted : April 12, 2023 5:59 pm