Trimble Business Center — Produce final deliverables in one workspace. Start free trial.

AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

Windows 10 64 bit - Carlson 2016 - functional?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
1,075 Views
Mapman
(@mapman)
Posts: 651
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I'm getting a little frustrated with the whole swap the computer out every few years.

My son has an SSD setup that just blazes on OS startup (<10 seconds boot). I often wait 5 minutes or more for mine to completely finish. There are a number of great looking re-furbes on Amazon right now. Many with new SSD and terabyte hard drives.

Will Windows 10 and Carlson play well with each other? I generally don't have any issues with Windows 7 Pro.

Should I change over? Or hang tight to what I know works.

Thanks.


 
Posted : January 14, 2017 11:08 pm
stephen-ward
(@stephen-ward)
Posts: 2244
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I'm running Win10 64bit with AutoCAD 2016 and Carlson over the top with no issues. Check out Carlson's website for the OS requirements for the specific version you are running.


 
Posted : January 15, 2017 1:14 am
totalsurv
(@totalsurv)
Posts: 810
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I am running Carlson Intellicad 2011 on Windows 10 and it works just the same as on Windows 7 pro. I recently upgraded to good laptop with SSD, graphics card, loads of memory and it is blistering fast. Definitely upgrade.

Most people that have issues with Windows 10 seem to be the ones that upgrade their exisitng Windows 7. New computers with Windows 10 seem to have little issues.


 
Posted : January 15, 2017 2:22 am
leegreen
(@leegreen)
Posts: 2187
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

All SSD are NOT made the same. If you are tired of upgrading your PC, then I suggest you purchase the most hardware you can afford today. The average SATA SSD drive has a read speed of å±500 MB/s. I suggest you purchase a PC with next-generation M.2 PCIe SSD that has read up to å±2500 MB/s.


 
Posted : January 15, 2017 6:36 am
brad-ott
(@brad-ott)
Posts: 6178
Member Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

So, what is our industry typical time frame to buy a new PC/laptop setup?

4 years?

7 years?


 
Posted : January 15, 2017 11:33 am

Mapman
(@mapman)
Posts: 651
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I've heard it said that W10 will be the last on desktop software. Heard they will be moving to a Chrome style online version in the future where it will automatically be updated on subscription. Not sure I like that. Sounds like we are losing some control of our own machines.

The SSD hard drive are so fast it seems unbelievable. Read some specs and they are amazing.

Any recommendations on graphic cards? Do I need to upgrade my Carlson to a 64 bit variety? Or it all in the same install package.

Bought this computer about 4 years ago and it is pretty basic by today's standards. Thought I would get a machine to last 6 years. Then I wouldn't need one anymore (retirement).

Thanks.


 
Posted : January 15, 2017 1:58 pm
leegreen
(@leegreen)
Posts: 2187
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Graphics card suggestions
GTX 980ti or GTX 1080


 
Posted : January 15, 2017 5:17 pm
Mapman
(@mapman)
Posts: 651
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

leegreen, post: 409289, member: 2332 wrote: Graphics card suggestions
GTX 980ti or GTX 1080

That's some powerhouse cards. Expensive too. For gaming or cad?
Going to have to up the budget. Thanks.


 
Posted : January 15, 2017 11:57 pm
leegreen
(@leegreen)
Posts: 2187
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Those are suitable for CAD and 3d rendering of drone aerial imagery, should you enter into that industry. High end CAD graphics cards cost 3x more.


 
Posted : January 16, 2017 5:19 am