AI Assistant
Trimble 5800 Base &...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Trimble 5800 Base & Rover

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
1,251 Views
cordgrass
(@cordgrass)
Posts: 235
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I am looking for trimble 5800 base and rover. Radio needed also.


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 9:09 am
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
Posts: 3371
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Just curious. Why that particular (obsolete) model? Those are GPS only.


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 9:11 am
cordgrass
(@cordgrass)
Posts: 235
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Mark Mayer, post: 420230, member: 424 wrote: Just curious. Why that particular (obsolete) model? Those are GPS only.

I am just starting out doing some part time work on the weekends. I don't want to spend 10-15k on a gps unit right now. If I can pay my equipment off in a year or two I'll up grade. I figured they worked 10 years ago why not now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 9:25 am
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
Posts: 3371
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

cordgrass, post: 420232, member: 11027 wrote: I don't want to spend 10-15k on a gps unit right now.

Somebody was offering a pair of Hiper Lites on here recently. That may work for you.


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 10:07 am
jhframe
(@jim-frame)
Posts: 7477
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

cordgrass, post: 420232, member: 11027 wrote: I figured they worked 10 years ago why not now.

That's not always a safe assumption. I have some mid-'90s-era Trimble units that are still going strong, but some of their later receivers have either stopped working or require significant workarounds to get usable data from them. I don't know where the 5800 is in that crowd, but I suggest making sure that you'll be able to use them effectively before buying.


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 10:39 am

precision-geo-inc
(@precision-geo-inc)
Posts: 155
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I have this kit available now: http://www.precision-geosystems.com/product/trimble-5800-gps-base-and-rover-kit-w-tsc2-35w-radio/?v=7516fd43adaa

Call me if you have questions. The kit has been tested and is working great!

-Will Haynes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 10:43 am
cordgrass
(@cordgrass)
Posts: 235
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Jim Frame, post: 420246, member: 10 wrote: That's not always a safe assumption. I have some mid-'90s-era Trimble units that are still going strong, but some of their later receivers have either stopped working or require significant workarounds to get usable data from them. I don't know where the 5800 is in that crowd, but I suggest making sure that you'll be able to use them effectively before buying.

I wasn't clear, i meant the technology worked years ago doing survey work not the actual unit.


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 10:48 am
dms330
(@dms330)
Posts: 417
Member Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Cordgrass, I think Jim is saying make sure it's compatible with all of the rest of your computer equipment and workflow. You may not be able to interface with the units now or as the world evolves. Even workarounds like serial to USB adapters can be very fickle.


Licensed Land Surveyor
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate New York

 
Posted : March 25, 2017 10:59 am
jhframe
(@jim-frame)
Posts: 7477
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

dms330, post: 420250, member: 2118 wrote: I think Jim is saying make sure it's compatible with all of the rest of your computer equipment and workflow

It can be even worse than that. For example, my understanding is that 4700 receivers with firmware earlier than a particular version will no longer work in RTK mode. The more mild situation is a receiver line that collects static data fine, but puts the wrong date stamp on it. With those you have to run the DAT files through teqc or other software to fix the dates before processing either in-house or via OPUS.


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 11:10 am
nate-the-surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Posts: 10538
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I'll go out on a limb here, and say this. You are probably alot better off buying current top shelf gear.
And, getting a pay boost, from your present place of employ. Make it so that you are not just an employee, but are an employee, with your own gps system.
This way, you are running the same system, all week, and weekends.
N


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Skeeter1996
(@skeeter1996)
Posts: 1333
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I've been using a 5800 and 5700 for 12 years now. I've not had any problems interfacing with software. The only negative of the system is it won't fix next to buildings or in trees. That can be remedied by offset shots. Trimble is giving $5500 for the units for trade ins on R10 units. I've seen R8 model 3s on eBay for less than that. I'd recommend you get a unit that is GNSS capable. They fix faster and in tough conditions. The transmitting radio is in the unit so for most distances you don't need another external radio. Trimble is also giving a $1500 trade-in for TSC2 data collector for a TSC3. Of course none of the batteries or cables are compatible with the new units when you decide to upgrade. I'm in the process of upgrading to an R10 system for $35,000 less trade-ins. The xfill feature is my main attraction.


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 2:22 pm
cordgrass
(@cordgrass)
Posts: 235
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Nate The Surveyor, post: 420265, member: 291 wrote: I'll go out on a limb here, and say this. You are probably alot better off buying current top shelf gear.
And, getting a pay boost, from your present place of employ. Make it so that you are not just an employee, but are an employee, with your own gps system.
This way, you are running the same system, all week, and weekends.
N

I don't work for a surveying firm. I am just looking for something I can make a few dollars here and there. This is just part time stuff from my normal job 9-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 2:25 pm
nate-the-surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Posts: 10538
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Well, if it's part time... and your normal 9-5 is something else. How do you plan this?
I can see you sort of walking yourself into a corner with this.
Trimble R-8's that are old, will be cheap. But, they will not perform fast. Since you want to part time this... I just am thinking maybe some other gear might work better. Electronics go "Out of date" fast.
This equation is fast becoming "Poop, or get off the pot".
Right now, you can buy a total station, and complete gear, for 500$ on ebay. Something like a GTS 3c unit. or similar. Tripod, prism pole. etc. Then, add a pair of post processed GPS units. Maybe what [USER=1087]@Mark Silver[/USER] at I-Gage is selling.
But, I think you are better off getting "In all the way" or figuring out a way to do it.
N


 
Posted : March 25, 2017 7:04 pm
pencerules
(@pencerules)
Posts: 240
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Just sent you a message.


 
Posted : March 27, 2017 9:30 am
dcn
 dcn
(@david-c-newell-rpls-ls-cfm)
Posts: 142
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

cordgrass, post: 420229, member: 11027 wrote: I am looking for trimble 5800 base and rover. Radio needed also.

I have 2 - R-8 model 1's sitting under a table, they aren't pretty but they worked when I put them up. Make me an offer.


 
Posted : March 27, 2017 9:37 am

Glenn Breysacher
(@glenn-breysacher)
Posts: 775
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Nate The Surveyor, post: 420301, member: 291 wrote: Well, if it's part time... and your normal 9-5 is something else. How do you plan this?
I can see you sort of walking yourself into a corner with this.
Trimble R-8's that are old, will be cheap. But, they will not perform fast. Since you want to part time this... I just am thinking maybe some other gear might work better. Electronics go "Out of date" fast.
This equation is fast becoming "Poop, or get off the pot".
Right now, you can buy a total station, and complete gear, for 500$ on ebay. Something like a GTS 3c unit. or similar. Tripod, prism pole. etc. Then, add a pair of post processed GPS units. Maybe what [USER=1087]@Mark Silver[/USER] at I-Gage is selling.
But, I think you are better off getting "In all the way" or figuring out a way to do it.
N

Nate,

Sometimes folks don't need the latest model hammer to drive a nail. While the latest technology would be nice, it's not always necessary to get the job done.


 
Posted : March 27, 2017 10:06 am
nate-the-surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Posts: 10538
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I guess the main thing that comes to mind, is firmware updates.
Planned obsolesence.
These devices sure do like up to date firmware.
Nate


 
Posted : March 27, 2017 11:22 am
5103
 5103
(@5103)
Posts: 13
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

cordgrass, post: 420229, member: 11027 wrote: I am looking for trimble 5800 base and rover. Radio needed also.

I have a 5800 one unit base or rover in great condition can do RTK I would sell you.


 
Posted : April 16, 2017 1:49 pm
cordgrass
(@cordgrass)
Posts: 235
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

A bought a pair of R8 model 1s from a member on the site


 
Posted : April 16, 2017 7:27 pm