AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

InterGEO 2017: Picture Compilation

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
1,178 Views
MarkSilver
(@mark-silver)
Posts: 713
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Just finished uploading all my InterGEO 2017 pictures.

My goal was to take a lot of pictures, one picture of every booth at a minimum. But I don't think that I was able to make that happen, I missed at least 20% of the booths.

The problem was that I was continually interrupted because I would get sidetracked talking to someone or get lost in the non-rectangular format (there were booths facing all directions and there were a lot of diagonals in the halls.) A lot of pictures did not work out and there was a lot of stuff that I just did not understand. I can read German slowly, but I don't understand it well enough to follow along. There were a lot of local German companies that sold services and I ignored them.

Some UAV thoughts: there are hundreds of small companies making rotary UAV's. Only two of them stick out: dji and shangdong. This year I give a big thumbs up to the Wingtra VTOL fixed wing. It looks stupid, but I personally watched it autonomously run a pre-programmed, complicated mission in 20+ mph gusting winds and ... well ... WOW! I did not check out the pictures it took, but I assume that they were just fine. VTOL is clearly the way to go and the Wingtra is fairly unique.

The picture processing and point cloud business is a real mess too. There are just too many players to make any sense of it. There might be 20 very small software shops and one of them might hit a home run, or make their solution open source which might destroy the market.

There are a lot of CAD companies too. I know why Autodesk products cost so dang much: you should have seen how big their booth was. (Of course one could say this about Trimble, Hexagon, Topcon and many of the Chinese companies.

The three neatest things that I saw, in order, are:

  1. Nikon Auto Focus Manual Total Stations (I am going to purchase one as a new personal gun)
  2. The Wingtra VTOL (I am afraid to ask now much)
  3. The Panono 360 degree camera (I will just buy myself one)

I tried to put the pictures directly on this forum, but I get an "10,000 character limit reached" error when I click on submit (I lost a couple of hours worth of editing.) So you will have to view them on my WordPress blog where it is pretty simple for me to setup a 300 picture stack of images.

I also need to disclose that I did not post many pictures of companies that I do business with or of stuff that I sell and I tried to minimize pictures of easily identifiable people because some people don't like being on the web. I actually go to InterGEO to do business and I don't want to drag my business drudgery into a general InterGEO conversation.

Click these links to view [ https://ashgps.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/intergeo-2017-day-0/&apos ;">Day 0 ] [ https://ashgps.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/intergeo-2017-day-1/&apos ;">Day 1 TUE ] [ https://ashgps.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/intergeo-2017-day-2/&apos ;">Day 2 WED ] [ https://ashgps.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/intergeo-2017-day-3/&apos ;">Day 3 THU ] [ https://ashgps.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/intergeo-2017-a-few-videos/&apos ;">Videos ]

I took a few videos that should have been embedded into the picture stacks, but I don't know how to make it happen. So they are on the last 'Videos' page.

I really like Berlin. I like riding the subways around because it is easy. I like walking because I need the workout (my phone says I was doing 18,000+ steps per day!) There is a lot of current and past history in Berlin, so there is a lot of stuff to see there. Everyone I met was incredibly nice and friendly. The beers were exceptional, the food was over-the-top great. I did quite a bit of sightseeing, but next time I am there I will stay at least 4 extra days. I would really like to go back just to see the survey instrument museum.

Mark


 
Posted : October 1, 2017 8:54 pm
dick emery
(@dick-emery)
Posts: 2207
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Great caption on this chariot photo:


 
Posted : October 1, 2017 9:17 pm
jhframe
(@jim-frame)
Posts: 7477
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

This particular brand is distributed in the USA by Bernstein.

Berntsen, FYI.

Nice photos!


 
Posted : October 1, 2017 9:46 pm
rberry5886
(@rberry5886)
Posts: 560
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

You kinda look like a movie star sitting at the bar with that "Huge" brewski......


 
Posted : October 2, 2017 2:23 pm
MarkSilver
(@mark-silver)
Posts: 713
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

[USER=556]@gschrock[/USER] did you have an opportunity to look at the accuracy of the GS18T's tilt compensation?

I saw many examples of how fast you can push the button, but I never saw any results for say 10 cm of top of pole tilt with the point held steady. I would like to play around with that because...frankly I have been very disappointed with most other receivers that claim to have that feature.

It is like:

  • leave your cell phone, keys, pocket knife in your truck
  • Don't work under powerlines or near any metal things like a car
  • It won't work over steel water pipes
  • Oh, you want to go more than 4 hours without calibrating

So by the time you get setup to play with it, you are standing on one foot, hopping around without a pocket knife. And I hate going anywhere without my pocket knife.

The difference in congestion at booths was stunning. I walked by the Leica booth on the first day and I could not see any carpet because people were stacked in like the subway at rush hour. At other booths (and I know that you know what I am talking about here) there was like one customer.

I stopped by Costco and Trader Joe's to buy powered Curry on Saturday. I should be able to duplicate the Currywurst soon. I am going to open a taco cart down the street in Sugarhouse and get rich selling sausage.

🙂


 
Posted : October 2, 2017 3:05 pm

MarkSilver
(@mark-silver)
Posts: 713
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

It is the tie that makes me look so good. Without the tie I am just bald, fat and old.


 
Posted : October 2, 2017 3:10 pm
MarkSilver
(@mark-silver)
Posts: 713
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

gschrock, post: 449191, member: 556 wrote: Hi Mark,
We're already planning for Frankfurt next year....

There is not a Hofbrau in Frankfurt. Why bother going?


 
Posted : October 2, 2017 3:33 pm
MarkSilver
(@mark-silver)
Posts: 713
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Cr_p!

That price might be just a bit out of my comfort zone! Dangit....


 
Posted : October 2, 2017 3:39 pm
cwlawley
(@cwlawley)
Posts: 372
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Thanks for all of the photos and the blog postings. I enjoyed looking at all of them. No need to go to Germany now!!!


 
Posted : October 2, 2017 3:56 pm
james-fleming
(@james-fleming)
Posts: 5737
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germany/articles/5-best-beer-gardens-in-frankfurt/


 
Posted : October 2, 2017 3:57 pm

in-the-sandpit
(@in-the-sandpit)
Posts: 50
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Mark Silver, post: 449193, member: 1087 wrote: There is not a Hofbrau in Frankfurt. Why bother going?

There is however a Paulaner bar there. I actually prefer it to Hofbrau. Really need to hang out for the one in Munich to get the best result!!


 
Posted : October 3, 2017 6:33 am
MLSchumann
(@mlschumann)
Posts: 134
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Mark,
Enjoyed viewing the pictures but, didn't have time to digest all the content. Did you discover or notice any information or displays announcing post-processing solutions?

refer your posts: September 15 2017:
https://surveyorconnect.com/community/threads/gnss-solutions-issue.331957/#post-447507

"By the way, there are going to be a lot of post-processing solution announcements at InterGEO this year, If anyone is looking to purchase, best to wait a few weeks. 🙂

Mark"


 
Posted : October 3, 2017 12:16 pm
MarkSilver
(@mark-silver)
Posts: 713
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

MLSchumann, post: 449334, member: 471 wrote: Did you discover or notice any information or displays announcing post-processing solutions?

Yes.

SPSO / TBC information is embargoed until October 6th. (I probably should not have said that.) So just sit on your thumbs for three more days.

The 2.0 version of CHC's CGO looks amazing (I played with it extensively) A whole new interface, lots of enhanced downloading tools, substantial engine enhancements (Galileo for one). The price will still be $500 and old dongles (from V1) will activate PP functions in 2.0. There are more modules, but not immediately needed IMHO. This actually may be a go-to replacement to GNSS Solutions, which I probably badly need. (I have a full copy of SPSO, but man it is tough to just beat out a quick job with it.) Not available yet.

Javad's Justin has undergone some new changes and is worth another look.

Then there are a pile of PPK processing solutions for UAV's. (And I mean a ton.) Apparently they mostly based on RTKLib because the first thing the sales guys said to me was "our PPK processing engine is based on RTKLib. We have made some changes to tune it and the performance is superior." I predict that the post-processing engine development going forward will mostly be driven by UAV PPK needs.

I guess I should admit that I am not too enamored with hand processing vectors anymore. In my book, RTK is good for the short vector stuff and I find myself missing the dynamic coordinates, solid earth tide modeling and shelf loading modeling of OPUS-Projects. I realize that none wants to sit around for 2+ hours anymore, and that GPS only solutions are stupid in today's multi-constellation world; but...I have been hand processing stuff, then comparing to OP and I always just accept the OP solutions as correct.


 
Posted : October 3, 2017 4:14 pm
stlsurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
Posts: 2513
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

gschrock, post: 449173, member: 556 wrote: Thnx for posting!

I am kinda thinking I could skip half of the other conferences and just go to Intergeo each year. I reckon Intergeo should be on surveyors bucket lists.

Di;)tto on Wingtra, a cool VTOL that won't break the bank. I am planning a full article on that outfit. Another UAV outfit from China is doing push-broom imaging on a drone; get full orthos live (10 sec lag); the emergency response folks would like that. Verity's airborne SLAM scanning is intriguing... I'd like to test the accuracy...

Ditto on the Nikon auto-focus... we played with that for about 30 minutes; could not fool it. Got a video of Joe Sass explaining it.
The Leica GS18 T has the we-don't-need-no-stinkin-compass-calibration tilt compensation. GNSS based calibration, it sure beats the cumbersome compass boxing. Was surprised to see huge booths for a few well known outfits mostly empty and some of the smaller outfits with huge crowds. innovation and startups are doing well.
Too many other cool new stuff to mention... will post a few more with pics later...

Gotta love Currywurst

You guys are so lucky! I agree bucket list! Why is there nothing like this is the States? Thanks for sharing!


N10,000, E7,000, Z100.00
PLS - IL, MO, AR, KS, MN, KY

 
Posted : October 3, 2017 7:42 pm
MLSchumann
(@mlschumann)
Posts: 134
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Mark Silver, post: 449366, member: 1087 wrote: Yes.

SPSO / TBC information is embargoed until October 6th. (I probably should not have said that.) So just sit on your thumbs for three more days.

The 2.0 version of CHC's CGO looks amazing (I played with it extensively) A whole new interface, lots of enhanced downloading tools, substantial engine enhancements (Galileo for one). The price will still be $500 and old dongles (from V1) will activate PP functions in 2.0. There are more modules, but not immediately needed IMHO. This actually may be a go-to replacement to GNSS Solutions, which I probably badly need. (I have a full copy of SPSO, but man it is tough to just beat out a quick job with it.) Not available yet.

Javad's Justin has undergone some new changes and is worth another look.

Then there are a pile of PPK processing solutions for UAV's. (And I mean a ton.) Apparently they mostly based on RTKLib because the first thing the sales guys said to me was "our PPK processing engine is based on RTKLib. We have made some changes to tune it and the performance is superior." I predict that the post-processing engine development going forward will mostly be driven by UAV PPK needs.

I guess I should admit that I am not too enamored with hand processing vectors anymore. In my book, RTK is good for the short vector stuff and I find myself missing the dynamic coordinates, solid earth tide modeling and shelf loading modeling of OPUS-Projects. I realize that none wants to sit around for 2+ hours anymore, and that GPS only solutions are stupid in today's multi-constellation world; but...I have been hand processing stuff, then comparing to OP and I always just accept the OP solutions as correct.

Mark,
Thanks for all the info - appreciated
ML


 
Posted : October 4, 2017 11:48 am

MarkSilver
(@mark-silver)
Posts: 713
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

[USER=556]@gschrock[/USER]

Dinner Last Night:

I added a little dill-mustard to my mayo. Mixed a little red curry into the BBQ sauce (got that from Wikipedia). It was as good or better than at the food truck in Berlin. (Of course, how can you go wrong with Sausage, BBQ sauce and Fries?)

I used Colosimo Sausage (155 W 2625 S St, South Salt Lake, UT 84115, no website), with the Costco yellow curry. Baked fries. An IPA from Wyoming on the side.

I am ready to buy a food truck next.


 
Posted : October 5, 2017 8:05 am
james-fleming
(@james-fleming)
Posts: 5737
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Mark Silver, post: 449660, member: 1087 wrote: It was as good or better than at the food truck in Berlin

I'm blessed...I have an authentic Bavarian restaurant, with an outdoor beer garden, five minutes from my house

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/schmankerl-stube-hagerstown

And a German street food place the next town over

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/d??ner-bistro-frederick


 
Posted : October 5, 2017 8:14 am