AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all
WA-ID Surveyor
WA-ID Surveyor
@wa-id-surveyor
Member
Joined: March 16, 2012 1:47 pm
Last seen: September 29, 2026 9:47 am
Topics: 14 / Replies: 991
Reply
RE: Drafting...

I was taught many of the items above back in my early years which was right at the transition to Cad. Nowadays we are the teacher. No one, or at lea...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Civil Engineer: Importance and effect of Survey Data, Coordinate systems, and Civil 3D Topo

The bigger question would be why not set the coordinate system? The advantages are clear. When we receive files that we know are on a specific syste...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Business Student asking: Why is tracking field crew costs so hard?

This, 100%.   Most surveyors i have met are great surveyors but poor businessmen. I was there once until an Engineer, yes Engineer, showed ...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Time and Entropy are undefeated

That's what we do on every project and ALWAYS scale to 0,0. With those two things set in stone along with a master spreadsheet to document each proje...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Licensed folk - what are your Do's and Don'ts?

You wont lose any $ on a project you don't get.

11 months ago
Reply
RE: ROW

I have seen this situation and am frankly more alarmed by the professionals setting boundary monuments without doing any of the boundary work. I am f...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: ROW

ROW monuments should always be set by the surveyor that determined the right of way and not the construction surveyor that has no knowledge of all as ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: ROW

Good point @lurker. Again, we can usually tell how/who set the mons on any particular project. Many in our area were set by contractors and it shows...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: ROW

Around here its a mixed bag. Each project is different, some you can tell were not set by surveyors. It's all the DOTs fault. Budget with the unders...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Old .T01 Files

I was thinking the same thing, then it dawned on me. Chalk it up to operator error. The Rinex files worked!  

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Old .T01 Files

Thanks for the replies. @john-putnam the survey tools is just an OPUS interface, these are 20-30 minute static ties to primary control. Trimble mad...

1 year ago
Topic
1 year ago
Replies: 10
Views: 2322
Reply
RE: Topographic Survey Requirements in WA

Great point @bstrand. Under the WA rules, they can't. The entire 'Engineers completing topo work' simply needs to be removed. The rules are confusi...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Radial Bearings - PC to Radius Point or Radius Point to PC?

Its very real, i discussed it in length with the County Surveyor as well. I wasn't the first to bring it up and wont be the last. I didn't want to ma...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Radial Bearings - PC to Radius Point or Radius Point to PC?

@bstrand I use length, delta, radius and when working in a certain municipality that requires chord bearing and distance on every curve, we use that t...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Radial Bearings - PC to Radius Point or Radius Point to PC?

The concavity option was used alot in my former place of employment in WA. I acquiesced, but as soon as i took a leadership role in a different compa...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Radial Bearings - PC to Radius Point or Radius Point to PC?

They were fairly prevalent in parts of WA at a time. I see them turned around often. Its definitely Radius Point to PC In the context of Writin...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Perfect measurers versus perfect measurers

If we found the original mons they would hold regardless of perfect/imperfect measurements. Measurements may vary but the mons stay the same. Hold t...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Topographic Survey Requirements in WA

Correct. I have never seen a recorded topo in any of the states or counties I've worked in.

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Topographic Survey Requirements in WA

Ok, ya got me! It certainly doesn't double it but definitely adds unnecessary time and cost to our map production with zero benefit. You forgot item...

1 year ago
Page 3 / 51