AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
rod
rod
@rod
Free
Joined: March 5, 2019 8:35 pm
Last seen: June 2, 2026 8:27 pm
Topics: 7 / Replies: 18
Reply
RE: For the collectors: Help with dating Thomas Whitney compass

Here's a photo of the bottom of the compass. There is a place in the box that looks like it was supposed to hold some additional item, but I didn't ge...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Pipe Mic safety handling

I keep my dirty things in plastic bins or plywood boxes to contain the mess as best as I can.

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Cool old description

"Fishing, Sowling, Hawking, Hunting..." What is Sowling? I looked it up and found a few definitions, all very old: 1. Food eaten with bread. 2. Dra...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: A question for the old school

Sorry about that. As I remember, the cross hairs as well as the image were sharper through the eyepiece than they showed up in the photo.?ÿ In fact, t...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: A question for the old school

View through a T-3. ?ÿ

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Collectors: please help me price a Gurley

"Pictures or it didnt happen." Tough Crowd! I was going to take it outside in good light, but the weather wouldn't allow. So, here you go.?ÿ The pri...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Collectors: please help me price a Gurley

The earliest reference I can find to a (wooden) subtense bar is the 1880s, not the 1700s as the OP stated. He says it is brass, has French lettering ...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Collectors: please help me price a Gurley

So I purchased and took delivery of the Gurley transit this week. It's beautiful! It looks barely used. I'm happy with it.

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Why?

At my first job, my work area was next to the owner's office. I may have learned more from overhearing conversations than from my own work. I overhea...

5 years ago
Topic
Replies: 14
Views: 1676
Reply
RE: Tunnel surveying

"But the price is astronomic." ha ha

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Magnetic Compass Fluid

"The main requirements are that it not freeze, should be inert chemically to the materials of the compass, and of a viscosity that is appropriate for ...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Triangle Problem

Ha! Just today I worked on?ÿa safety plan involving a ladder. I had to look up the OSHA publication.

6 years ago
Reply
RE: 'Great Conjunction' 2020: NASA tips to see Jupiter and Saturn shine as a 'Christmas Star'

I went out tonight to see it in a slight fog. Conditions were not ideal, as the fog drifted around, but every once in a while I got a decent view. Sat...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: T1A

What does the A signify?

6 years ago
Topic
Replies: 14
Views: 3889
Reply
RE: Confined Spaces HSE?

We use a manhole tripod and two separate winches. The entrant wears hip waders, harness, climbing helmet, and gloves. We test the air at different lev...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Nikon NPL-820

I purchased a similar used Nikon instrument two years ago, in 2018, for $1200. Mine is not reflectorless. The batteries still work and I can find noth...

6 years ago
Forum
Page 1 / 2