AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
murphy
murphy
@murphy
Member
Joined: April 15, 2015 2:28 pm
Last seen: September 29, 2026 6:54 pm
Topics: 37 / Replies: 921
Reply
RE: Landscape edging establishes boundary

Duane Frymire, post: 349773, member: 110 wrote: The historical development of acquiescence clearly stems from surveyors not recognizing evidence of th...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Landscape edging establishes boundary

I'm not a big fan of lawns. I view lawn care as a waste of time and resources. However, I've learned that some people assign enormous value to their...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Christmas bonuses

Everyone in our company gets a crisp $100 bill in a card. Kinda of strange when you consider that some of our senior engineers are making around $200...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Why is it for the courts to decide?

I found that my level of effort was commensurate to that of the instructor's. Fortunately, I had the privilege to attend Dave Carlisle's program at W...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Crazy Stories you Want to Share

A wealthy elderly couple call me up and ask me to stake their lot lines because they are sure their western abutter has been clearing brush on their l...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Why is it for the courts to decide?

Compared to what? With what unit do you measure competency?

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Why is it for the courts to decide?

I certainly don't advocate ignorance of language, I just haven't experienced a lack of commonality of terms. Most of my clients have never spoken to ...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Why is it for the courts to decide?

The study of law is built upon the foundation philosophy. Memorization of statutes and an occasional glance at abstracts of court opinions is much bet...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Why is it for the courts to decide?

Lack of unity of terminology is quite far down the list of reasons why people don't trust us. People mistrust surveyors because we represent change. ...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Elevation factors when surveying

The isolation and distribution of measurement errors is one of the core functions of a land surveyor. If I were building a new GIS for tax mapping I ...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: What constitutes good field notes?

I take affidavits in a bound field book and nothing else. We use long detailed descriptions and the "note" feature provided by SurvCE. At the end of...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Removing another Surveyor's monuments

I remember a survey I did in fairly small subdivision while I was still in school and taking a Survey Law class. I was working with the owner/PLS and...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Removing another Surveyor's monuments

I agree with Nate. The easiest thing to do (which is often the wrong thing to do) is to just leave them there, as it requires no thought, liability, ...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: The Beginning of the End of Licensure?

North Carolina's board sent me a certification for engineering instead of surveying. All the board members signed it despite it clearly having a four...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Getting started with Least Squares

What good is is a standard if no one follows it and there is no resulting harm? I have seen more actual harm caused from adherence to Alta standards, ...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: When to Rewrite a Description?

I doubt the average client can or will trace their metes and bounds out. Anyone clever enough to do that would likely recognize their lot on a plat an...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Just took my FS...

To paraphrase Churchill: Testing is the worst way to judge competence, except for all the others.

11 years ago
Reply
RE: PS review materials...

I'm glad I could help. My guess is that if you left the exam feeling good then you passed it.

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Just took my FS...

My understanding is that all the FSs across the nation are scored then run through some form of statistical analysis to isolate questions that a signi...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Cutting a line through the woods

One of the best surveyors in northern NH showed me something similar to what Williwaw described but a bit easier to set up on. After you shoot your f...

11 years ago
Page 47 / 48