AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all
john-hamilton
john-hamilton
@john-hamilton
Member P&R, Founder
Joined: September 13, 2010 5:25 am
Last seen: September 27, 2026 6:07 pm
Topics: 410 / Replies: 3055
Reply
RE: Topcon and Star*Net concerns when processing large networks.

I use Trimble Business Center rather than Topcon. But the concept is the same. I load static (from TBC) and RTK (direct from job file) baseline vec...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: HP 35s/RPN replacement

I really loved my HP41CX. I used that for many years before PC's, and wrote a lot of programs. Astro, state plane, UTM, data collection with a T2, pla...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Monitoring Procedures - Am I Crazy/Wrong?

Somehow I missed this thread when it was started, just saw it for the first time today. As someone who has been doing monitoring surveys (over 600) ...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Trimble 5700 base station

GPS only will work fine on a tractor. Note that if you use a radio with UHF frequencies it must be licensed. An alternative is to use a spread spectru...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Older working equipment.

I have a Trimble high precision S6 bought in 2006 that still works great. The only reason I don't use it anymore on our deformation surveys is that th...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Star*net question: horizontal errors caused by vertical mistakes?

@mathteacher No, azimuth is not an option in a DV. You can put azimuth in a B record by itself or a BM record with distance, vertical angle, etc

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Star*net question: horizontal errors caused by vertical mistakes?

I process all of my total station data by reducing the distance and vertical angles to mark-to-mark values (using the observed zenith angles and the H...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Leica Digital Level precision

After 2020 we no longer do the survey every year, now we are doing it on a 5 year schedule with each survey being bluebooked. So we are doing it again...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Handheld Consumer grade GNSS?

As Shelby mentions, I load in the proposed coordinates for imagery/LiDAR control points into my Garmin. I load in a csv file (longitude,latitude,name)...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Digital Leveling Specification

We are currently working on a bluebook leveling project that we repeat every 5 years and submit to NGS. We used to do it every year and then BB every ...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Catch up at Trimble Dimensions Nov 10-12

@jimcox ? I believe you are from NZ (correct me if I am wrong). No visa required, just ESTA. But yeah, it is getting expensive

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Directory of State Surveying Regulations

@dgm-pls I don't know of any list. But I think in many states this might fall under engineering in addition to survey

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Catch up at Trimble Dimensions Nov 10-12

I will be there, never missed one since the first in Silicon Valley way back in ????

11 months ago
Reply
RE: OPUS

In my opinion you get better results from RTX

11 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

@lurker In PA you could set those. Or hub and tack. Or nothing at all (as many do)

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Shoot The Sun

The resemblance is uncanny 🤓  

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Shoot The Sun

I developed a method to use the moon rather than the sun. This can be easier since no filter is required, but the moon moves faster so it requires a b...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Shoot The Sun

When accurate time was not available, you needed to observe the vertical angle to the sun as well as the horizontal. Refraction added uncertainty, so ...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: OPUS

I use those commands on the command line, not in a browser. Not sure if that makes a difference.

12 months ago
Reply
RE: OPUS

mtlg, wysh downloaded no problem using the amazonaws site and curl...I did both on 274 and wysh on 282...   curl -Obr />curl -O/p>   ...

12 months ago
Page 4 / 174