AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
jhframe
jhframe
@jim-frame
Member Founder, Sustainer
Joined: July 1, 2010 10:44 am
Last seen: October 10, 2026 7:12 am
Topics: 465 / Replies: 7012
Reply
RE: Parani SD1000 Bluetooth adapters: Rechargeable? Are there other good options as well?

It's a zener diode to protect against voltage spikes or polarity reversal when the serial port is powered up. I'm not sure it's necessary, but there's...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Parani SD1000 Bluetooth adapters: Rechargeable? Are there other good options as well?

No. My Carlson Surveyor+ data collector has +12v available on pin 4 of its 9-pin port, so I put the Parani in an aluminum box bolted to the DC and sp...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Parani SD1000 Bluetooth adapters: Rechargeable? Are there other good options as well?

That would be my guess, but I have almost no experience running them off the native battery. Except for some initial experimentation, I've always pow...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: When Do Spreadsheets Stop Working?

As the owner/operator of a very small business (no employees, annual billings usually less than $250k), your article wasn't really directed at me, so ...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Star*net question: horizontal errors caused by vertical mistakes?

It's been a good long while since I've run a 2D adjustment, but I *think* you can specify that the project is a 2D job in the project options, and the...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Handheld Consumer grade GNSS?

It still works, I use it occasionally to load search coordinates into my etrex 20.

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Comparing two surveys

It's a semantic distinction rather than a practical one. The RTK vector data in the .gps file are analogous to the angles and distances recorded in t...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: A few basic RTK questions

OP currently accepts GVX files containing RTK, RTN and/or PP vector data. Is it ready for prime time? Maybe. I tried to run a large project throu...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Digital Leveling Specification

With the Leica DNA003, that's one of the statistics available after a measurement is taken.

11 months ago
Reply
RE: What is the Meaning of VRMS?

My experience with NRTK (both CRTN and a Cansel Trimble network) is that the reported vertical accuracies are quite optimistic, even for 300-epoch obs...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Evidence and Procedures for Boundary Location Seventh Edition

Alas, the list was hand-written long before the digital age came to my house. If I even kept a copy, I would have no idea where to find it.

11 months ago
Reply
RE: California Real Time Network (CRTN) - Trimble Access Coordinate System

Yes. The only error source introduced by this setup that I can think of is that the geoid model will, in theory, be applied in the wrong place, but t...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Evidence and Procedures for Boundary Location Seventh Edition

I have the 2nd edition. It's so full of typos and other mistakes that it's hard to read. When I first got it I compiled several pages of goofs and s...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: California Real Time Network (CRTN) - Trimble Access Coordinate System

Since CRTN is aligned with the NSRS NAD83(2011), as long as your coordinate system is set to NAD83(2011) you can use the CRTN horizontal values as-is....

11 months ago
Reply
RE: RR Spiral Curve Help

I'm not a railroad expert -- fortunately, in my area most them run straight as an arrow for miles (my local depot notwithstanding, it's at a 3-way int...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: OPUS

I wonder how much value adding other constellations to a 2+ hour observation brings to the table. I've always thought that a GPS L1-fixed (or iono-fr...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Extract .jpg Location info from Cellphone to Import into Google Earth Pro

I've been using Xnview for many years and have never had a problem of any kind, let alone a problem with OneDrive interaction. I appear to have OneDr...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: Extract .jpg Location info from Cellphone to Import into Google Earth Pro

I use Xnview for this. It's free for non-commercial use, a license is required for commercial use. (If you figure out how to obtain a commercial lic...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: Carbide Tipped Scribe

Same idea, different format. Been carrying one of these in my vest for decades.

12 months ago
Reply
RE: Licensed folk - what are your Do's and Don'ts?

Not a comprehensive list, but maybe more will come to me later: Write a narrative for every boundary survey you perform, preferably recording each d...

12 months ago
Page 5 / 374