AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
jhframe
jhframe
@jim-frame
Member Founder, Sustainer
Joined: July 1, 2010 10:44 am
Last seen: October 10, 2026 7:12 am
Topics: 465 / Replies: 7012
Reply
RE: Why not Metric??

With regard to manufacturing, my sense is that the U.S. has largely changed over the metric in order to remain competitive globally. But there's esse...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Summer learnings

While I believe there's a solid correlation between sun exposure and melanoma, I'm not sure there's a particularly strong connection between the locat...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: the 2026 ALTA standards

A lot depends on how you write your contract and how savvy your client is. If you make it clear that you'll deliver 1 ALTA survey based on a specific...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Topcon and Star*Net concerns when processing large networks.

Agreed, because stats isn't my strong suit. But for a project last year I had to learn how to convert correlations and standard deviations to a covar...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: NSPS Promoted Insurance Company?

It's been years since I compared premiums, but last time I did they were in same ballpark. One thing to note about insurance companies: in general,...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: NSPS Promoted Insurance Company?

I've been using ARM as my broker for many years now, both for general liability, inland marine, and professional liability. The first two are covere...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Topcon and Star*Net concerns when processing large networks.

From the Star*Net v6 manual: "STAR*NET is designed for typical survey grid projects in relatively small areasspanning up to a few hundred kilometers...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: the 2026 ALTA standards

I would call those "permitted encroachments." But since I generally don't have access to every permit associated with a parcel, I just label them "en...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: the 2026 ALTA standards

If a man-made object crosses a property line, it's an encroachment. Who is encroaching on whom? That's a question for someone else to answer.

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Topcon and Star*Net concerns when processing large networks.

Yeah, I should have qualified my statement to the vectors I have experience with. I get timestamps with imports from TBC (*.asc), and my Javad TLS wr...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Topcon and Star*Net concerns when processing large networks.

When Star*Net imports a vector file it includes the timestamp, so identifying duplicates is possible with a bit of simple coding.

9 months ago
Reply
RE: What's your temperature cut off for doing field work?

California boy here, and a scrawny one at that. I have a hard enough time staying warm when it's 45°F, I simply can't imagine trying to work in anyth...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Topcon and Star*Net concerns when processing large networks.

Just as a reality check, I disabled a single RTK vector in a 75-station project I did a couple of years ago, and it reduced the reported number of obs...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Monitoring Procedures - Am I Crazy/Wrong?

This is the procedure I've been using at a drainage lift station structure that I've been monitoring for the last 8 years. It's a small site, about 1...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: HP 35s/RPN replacement

Take a look at Swiss Micro. They have some modernized HP-like models that look pretty good.

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Software for Sokkia SET3030R3 and substitute cables in place of RS232 for USB or similar

FWIW, I've had good luck connecting to legacy Trimble equipment using a USB-to-serial converter with the FTDI chipset.

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Older working equipment.

That's a good price, even if a couple of them don't work, since it includes free shipping and a bunch of cables.. But I have too many of them already...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Drafting...

I default to clockwise, but so many of the maps I draw have multiple parcels with common lines, so making them all clockwise isn't possible.

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Older working equipment.

I have a fleet of mid-90s Trimble 4000SSi receivers that I still use on occasion. I typically set them up and leave them unattended for the day, lock...

10 months ago
Page 4 / 374