AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
field-dog
field-dog
@field-dog
Member
Joined: October 11, 2014 9:50 am
Last seen: October 4, 2026 10:37 am
Topics: 269 / Replies: 1313
Reply
RE: Total Station Trunnion Axis Error

Thanks to everyone who responded to this post.

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Total Station Trunnion Axis Error

@va-ls-2867 I wish young surveyors were more aware of equipment errors. They focus too much on the precision and electronic compensators of an inst...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Total Station Trunnion Axis Error

@mightymoe Those very long traverses you mentioned must have been fun. I’m sure you did sun shots along your route as a check.

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Total Station Trunnion Axis Error

@norman-oklahoma I’ve never used a robotic station. Isn’t it common practice that you collimate it daily considering you mentioned how rapidly the ...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Total Station Trunnion Axis Error

@john-putnam I agree. The physical plates are still there. I think in Davis & Foote 7th edition it states “Reversing the scope eliminates errors...

2 years ago
Topic
Replies: 18
Views: 3665
Reply
RE: Compass Rule on an "open" traverse

Good point. Reading through this thread reinforces my belief that one should know the purpose of a job in order to formulate a plan to carry it out. I...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Compass Rule on an "open" traverse

Reaching way back into my memory, the difference between the closing bearing and the calculated bearing is your angular error and must be distributed ...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Fieldbook

Try eBay. Maybe a retired surveyor is trying to unload all his gear.

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Leica LS10 Peg Test

Totally bogus. I wasn't thinking clearly. On the DL-502 we had it make corrections after it gave us an error on the peg test. What kind of corrections...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Leica LS10 Peg Test

I'm conducting research on collimation error versus level bubble error from a peg test. Most sources say the collimation test and the peg test are the...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Leica LS10 Peg Test

Here are some field procedures I’ve come up with. To Set a TP at Proper Distance:1. Star key2. Apps3. BasicLevel4. Dist [F2]5. Use return key to ret...

2 years ago
Topic
Replies: 3
Views: 2566
Reply
RE: Format files and export between Trimble and Magnet

I've got a MF code library written in XML. Maybe you can use it as an example.

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Angle Iron as corners

@jim-frame I didn’t know radiused was a word. Thanks for the vocabulary lesson.

2 years ago
Reply
2 years ago
Topic
2 years ago
Replies: 12
Views: 2943
Reply
RE: Do people still do sketches in their field books?

The county requires us to do sketches in the field books. Recently, I've done a project that was split into two smaller projects. I felt my sketches h...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Mini Prism vs. Standard Prism and Prism Tilt

Thanks for chiming in. Okay, I stand corrected.

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Mini Prism vs. Standard Prism and Prism Tilt

What always comes to mind is the way my party chief, who started surveying in the early 1960s, set corners. This was somewhere between 1991 and 1993. ...

2 years ago
Page 10 / 80