AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
Bruce Small
Bruce Small
@bruce-small
Free
Joined: February 6, 2011 3:35 pm
Last seen: August 1, 2026 10:06 am
Topics: 227 / Replies: 1347
Reply
RE: Get your final product perfect before it leaves your office in any form

@norman-oklahoma I worked for 67 years, in surveying for 62 years, a registrant for 58 years - and never once did I actually use the stated basis of b...

2 months ago
Topic
Replies: 5
Views: 1508
Reply
RE: Elevation affect on staking with GPS

There is a reason the elevations in my COGO that are not valid are stored as 99,999 feet. Makes it absolutely clear those cannot be good elevations.

4 months ago
Reply
RE: Practical Question at My Own House: Called Rebar at Corner, But Fence Posts/Concrete Are in the Way

Once you are fairly certain where the rebar is or was, get out a shovel and dig. Attached is a photo of an ACP from decades ago, one foot down and ove...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Setting Corners with RTK

Back in the days when I was busy doing commercial properties of all kinds, like shopping centers and apartment sites, I had an efficient routine down ...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Curve fit

My solution, assuming I copied the original post coordinates correctly. Point 4 is my calculated average radius point. It appears 251 is an outlier, s...

5 months ago
Topic
5 months ago
Replies: 4
Views: 2083
Reply
RE: Measurement issues in providing reference measurements to locate existing monuments

@gene-kooper Gene, love the photo of the leaning stone in a meadow with the mountains in the background. Sigh, those were the good old days.

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Setting Corners with RTK

"Thing to remember about RTK is that you're always going to have 1-2 cm. of error floating around which is well in excess of your 0.02'." Au contrai...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Significant numbers

Haggard is one of my favorite authors and highly recommended. Start with Smith and the Pharoahs - delightful short story.

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Using AI in your survey workflow

@burkc Is that my old friend Burk from Bricktown in Oklahoma. My oh my, this is a pleasure. My take is that AI will be embraced by the lower tier o...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: How to Keep My Base Station Cool

Real canopies, like the kind shading pumpkin sales at Halloween, have no effect on GPS signals.

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Using AI in your survey workflow

Retired now, thank goodness, but I would never have allowed AI to handle any data, especially if a judgement call is needed. Also bear in mind that AI...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: What a ride!

January 1964, on the far end of the Fort Lauderdale airport, Don Fell said to me, "You could probably pass the land surveyor exam." And I had no idea ...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and wonder.

Pure guess - hand annotation and no proofreading by a professional.

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Retirement six years later.

Retired in 2025 after working 67 years, the last 62 in surveying, the last 58 as an RLS, the last 25 with my own company. I gave away all of the equip...

7 months ago
Reply
RE: Preparing descriptions textbook question

@norman-oklahoma Yay, for years I kept a copy of Strunk by my desk. Brevity!

8 months ago
Reply
RE: A thing I used to know

When I did a topo it was always a 25' grid (easy with the GPS display), all break lines, and extra shots to show contours of any piles of dirt. It was...

8 months ago
Reply
RE: Preparing descriptions textbook question

@alan-chyko I've surveyed coast to coast and border to border, so I'd say not regional.

8 months ago
Reply
RE: Preparing descriptions textbook question

@bill93 Not in the slightest. Wattles covered this subject quite well.

8 months ago
Page 1 / 79