Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
I got a call today, the caller wants me to survey an easement into a landlocked parcel. He said he called me cause I did the survey to the landlocked parcel in April. I finally figured out what parcel he was talking about and I for sure didn't do it. I refused the work because the property has been in conflict from 2005 when I discovered that there were two government surveys, one in 1881, then another in 1950 and they missed each other (by a lot). The 1881 surveys were for two townships, the 1950 was the township to the north, now there are two sets of monuments, original 1881 stones, 1950 brass caps. His property in along the township line in the south township still using the 1881 plat.
The BLM started a resurvey for the south township in 2009 and never finished so there are brass caps out there, but no plat, I'm stating that until that's resolved I'm out.
So, someone did a survey on this parcel, how I don't know, and it was found to be landlocked. I guess since the realtor called me in April, the new owner also has my number. He even has an invoice from me. Finally, I have him look at the invoice and it's not me. How my phone number got involved, I don't know and don't want to know. I'm more than happy to get another surveyor to do this, why one would is the big question.
Color me confused as to why the government survey conflict is such a big issue. Don't the same legal principles apply, such as senior rights? If the later government survey failed to properly survey the existing boundary, so what? Was that land not already conveyed out to private ownership by the time of the 1950 survey?
Color me confused as to why the government survey conflict is such a big issue. Don't the same legal principles apply, such as senior rights? If the later government survey failed to properly survey the existing boundary, so what? Was that land not already conveyed out to private ownership by the time of the 1950 survey?
Not according to the BLM. Their position is that everything conveyed after the 1950 survey for the north township is controlled by the plat, even though it's widely off the original corners. This property isn't in the 1950 survey boundary, but it does share it's north line with that survey. The official plat for this property is still the 1881 plat. So, since the conflicted area is partly federal surface (and shares the south and west line with this parcel), the BLM decided to do a survey and clean up the issue. 20 years on and still no new BLM plat, but there are BLM brass caps scattered through the township set in 2009.
The north line of the south township using original monuments is in some locations shifted 1/4 west and 600+ feet south from the 1950 brass caps for the south line of the north township. The property in question is along that line.
So this 1950 BLM work was an independent resurvey?
@mightymoe So it was a dependent resurvey but they rejected a bunch of the original stones?
I see your problem with the parcel boundary, but it seems to me that an access easement could be written that is independent of a precisely known boundary. Of course it follows that the guy who did the boundary work would be best able to write this easement, perhaps without further field work.
@mightymoe So it was a dependent resurvey but they rejected a bunch of the original stones?
They didn't find them.
I see your problem with the parcel boundary, but it seems to me that an access easement could be written that is independent of a precisely known boundary. Of course it follows that the guy who did the boundary work would be best able to write this easement, perhaps without further field work.
Yep! Let whoever did a survey do the easement. My ROS is on file from twenty years ago, I'm done there until the government releases a plat.
@mightymoe OK, so there's not 2 sets of monuments. You made it sound like there are 2 sets of monuments out there.
From what I've seen here if what is being occupied doesn't disagree with the brass caps I might just accept the brass caps and keep it moving. Maybe that's what the other more recent surveyor did.
@mightymoe OK, so there's not 2 sets of monuments. You made it sound like there are 2 sets of monuments out there.
From what I've seen here if what is being occupied doesn't disagree with the brass caps I might just accept the brass caps and keep it moving. Maybe that's what the other more recent surveyor did.
There are two sets of monuments, the 1881 survey and the 1950 survey, brass caps in 1950 missing the stones from 1881 by 1500'. The entire township line has two sets without only a couple of the original stones not found. The only ones in agreement are along the line common to Secs36 and 1. From there the north township has BC's heading north of the real stone corners. And in the north township there are marked set stones again missing brass caps by 1500'.
@mightymoe Oh. So it sounds like maybe the BLM needs to do an independent resurvey, or at reclassify their 1950 survey as that. Has anyone bothered to tell them there are a bunch of stones out there that they apparently missed?
@mightymoe Oh. So it sounds like maybe the BLM needs to do an independent resurvey, or at reclassify their 1950 survey as that. Has anyone bothered to tell them there are a bunch of stones out there that they apparently missed?
Yes, but there will not be an independent resurvey. They have been dependently resurveying the south township since at least 2009, still no resolution.