Trimble Business Center — Produce final deliverables in one workspace. Start free trial.

AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

Vintage 1987

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
658 Views
bushaxe
(@bushaxe)
Posts: 642
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Found this beauty today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


 
Posted : June 18, 2017 8:52 am
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
Posts: 3371
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Don't polish it. It's the patina that gives antiques their real value.


 
Posted : June 18, 2017 9:06 am
holy-cow
(@holy-cow)
Posts: 26026
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I keep telling myself that. It's the best excuse I can come up with not to shave.


 
Posted : June 18, 2017 9:27 am
john-putnam
(@john-putnam)
Posts: 2468
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

WTF, when did 1987 become vintage? Plus real surveyors don't use gammon reals. They just get hung up on brush and caught in truck doors, at least that's what my first PC told me back when your bob was new.


 
Posted : June 18, 2017 10:03 am
thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
Posts: 4529
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I walked up on a survey crew somtime mid 70s. They were working a common line with our property so i walked them to several old corners. At the end of the day they gave me a 16 oz bob with a sticky gammon reel.
Along about 1999, my stepson brought me a surprise. He had polished up that bob nice and bright. I nicknamed it 'rodmans revenge' because it surely would have blinded an instrument man on a sunny day.
It has picked up a nice patina again, right down to the black in the tack dimples...


 
Posted : June 18, 2017 10:13 am

bushaxe
(@bushaxe)
Posts: 642
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

John Putnam, post: 433106, member: 1188 wrote: WTF, when did 1987 become vintage? Plus real surveyors don't use gammon reals. They just get hung up on brush and caught in truck doors, at least that's what my first PC told me back when your bob was new.

Maybe I should have used the word "circa" instead. This was the first piece of survey equipment I ever purchased. I was a first year surveying student.

I agree with your Gammon Reel comment. But I didn't know any better when I purchased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


 
Posted : June 18, 2017 10:41 am
chris-bouffard
(@chris-bouffard)
Posts: 1498
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

BushAxe, post: 433091, member: 11897 wrote: Found this beauty today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have 2 16 ouncers and a few new in the container Gammon Reels as well as a bag of points.


 
Posted : June 18, 2017 2:05 pm