AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

Theodolite $100

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
1,074 Views
samizdat
(@samizdat)
Posts: 24
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I'm looking for an old theodolite. I want to use it to teach my kids some math (trigonometry when they're older). The more antique the better (Gurley, Berger, Keuffel & Esser), because I'd like for them to see the Vernier scales on the vertical and horizontal circles as they turn, and they make for a nice display. But I'd also be interested in anything newer as long as its non-electronic. Like a Wild or the ones with the second scope for taking the readings.

I'd be willing to make a trade or partial trade. See my other post under Marketplace on Pipe-Mics.

thanks,
Jon


 
Posted : February 4, 2016 8:16 pm
jimmy-cleveland
(@jimmy-cleveland)
Posts: 2808
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Jon,

Try ebay. I picked up a nice Dietzgen theodolite a few years ago for about $50, for display. It had been dropped on the top, and one edge of the top vernier knob as slightly bent, but I was able to mess around with it and get it functioning again.

I want an old K&E type transit for display also. I love the new stuff, but have a huge respect for the older stuff.

Jimmy


 
Posted : February 5, 2016 8:18 am
ddsm
 ddsm
(@ddsm)
Posts: 2222
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I have a K&E Model 70 0070. Kent might remember this one...

and a Model 74 0110. Got this one off Ebay and had it serviced by "Old Man" Martin in Little Rock, AR.

But $100 would not touch either one:whistle:

If you really, really, really want one, give me a shout.
DDSM:beer:


 
Posted : February 5, 2016 10:42 am
paul-in-pa
(@paul-in-pa)
Posts: 6034
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Theodolite or transit? In older instruments there is a difference.

Paul in PA


 
Posted : February 5, 2016 10:51 am
Tom Adams
(@tom-adams)
Posts: 3453
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

As I learned it, the original term was a "Transiting Theodolite" and many years ago, as they were developing the technology, in the US they shortened the name to "Transit" and in Europe, they shortened it to "Theodolite". In the Us, they worked on an external vernier reading that took a magnifying glass to read the scale, and the "Theodolites" in Europe had the internal scale. The German theodolites with the internal scale emerged to be the better and more precise design. It's good to learn to read both.

That is what I learned in school. Of course other historical accounts might vary. 😉

If I could afford it, I would like to have one of each in my possession and/or to teach kids on how to use.


 
Posted : February 5, 2016 12:04 pm

ddsm
 ddsm
(@ddsm)
Posts: 2222
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

http://dev.museumofmeasurementandtime.org
Tom,
Take a look at virtual tour.
DDSM:beer:


 
Posted : February 5, 2016 5:39 pm