AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
RE: U.S. Survey Foot Scheduled to Die of Natural Causes in 2022

Dr. Dennis has noted the lack of publicly-available documentation for state plane development and the process he's overseeing aims at improving that s...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: U.S. Survey Foot Scheduled to Die of Natural Causes in 2022

So you're saying that NGS got the eccentricity squared wrong? I can see how that could happen given the complexity of Moritz's iterative solution. I'l...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: U.S. Survey Foot Scheduled to Die of Natural Causes in 2022

John, I have an old pencil note that I made at some time in the past that shows those digits to be ...2711243. I have no idea how I came up with that,...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: NAD83 projection in Texas

So, pdf page 36 of this publication ?ÿsays that the SAF for Bexar County is 1.00017, which squares with the AY1896 and DG5157 combined factors. It's ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: NAD83 projection in Texas

Always a fascinating topic. Look at 3 points (I know, not an adequate sample) near San Antonio: AY1896, AY1924, and DG5157. For each of these points, ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Does NY State need LDP with SPCS2022

Yeah, it's April, not March. There are two papers, one for Policies and another for Procedures, both dated April. You really have to read them both, b...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Does NY State need LDP with SPCS2022

Every time I read the March 23 documents, I end up confused, but I think that the 62 separate ones would not be designed by NGS. Their design would be...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Does NY State need LDP with SPCS2022

The NAD 83 state plane for Long Island looks like a pretty good LDP itself. Distortion at the central parallel is only -5.1 parts per million, with ma...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Lambert meets Limon: An LDP at a CBL with a Quiz at the End

Here are the solutions to problem 4. This modified .prj puts the grid origin at KJ0524 and uses a different false Easting and false Northing to make c...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Lambert meets Limon: An LDP at a CBL with a Quiz at the End

Thanks for the comments, John. The easy one to address is the degree-radian factor, which, according to the calculator in my Pixel 2, is truncated at ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Lambert meets Limon: An LDP at a CBL with a Quiz at the End

The answers to Problem 3 are: Limon CBL LDP Coordinates in meters: KJ0231: 26,639.255N, 90,083.433EKJ0524: 17,242.721N, 97,242.883E Grid distance = 11...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Lambert meets Limon: An LDP at a CBL with a Quiz at the End

The solutions to Problem 2 are: Runway 16 coordinates (meters): 26,413.260N, 99,715.680ERunway 34 coordinates (meters):25,004.277N, 99,974.346EGrid di...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Lambert meets Limon: An LDP at a CBL with a Quiz at the End

This one started as an Iowa Regional Coordinate System .prj, which is an Esri file that uses the word "spheroid." I don't remember which one I used, b...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Lambert meets Limon: An LDP at a CBL with a Quiz at the End

Thanks, John. My old rheumy eyes are getting older and rheumier. We see one of the objections to LDPs in problem 4, where we create a second, overlap...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: NGS Webinar Apr 25 on the fate of the US Survey foot

As long as odometers are in miles, the highway people will need feet ????.

7 years ago
Page 79 / 114