AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
RE: Mother Teressa would cuss

@bstrand Remember, I'm speaking from the client's point of view. One of my friends owned a steel framework erection business. In the late 90s, a big ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Mother Teressa would cuss

@just-a-surveyor So it's a worksheet, and a pretty good one at that. But, what did the client get, both from you and from the low bidder? Do you do s...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Mother Teressa would cuss

@flga-pls-2-2 I'm sure they are, but there are different realities. AECOM has one, Microsoft has another, and you and I have two more. If you can sta...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Mother Teressa would cuss

Here are some thoughts from a non-surveyor--a potential client, in other words, on the Gordon County_Kings Lake survey proposal. Let's look first at h...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Old books, APIs, and data sheets

Same here, reinforced later by stepping off ladders too soon!

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Old books, APIs, and data sheets

Well, durn. Clairaut's formula uses height in centimeters and I used meters to calculate the gravity at DP7100. Correcting that makes the answer 979,7...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Old books, APIs, and data sheets

@bill93 Yes, that's why I used NAVD88 height in the formula. An early version of NGS' coordinate converter would calculate an elevation factor for co...

7 years ago
Topic
Replies: 5
Views: 1021
Reply
RE: Surveying ain't work

There's a ton of legacy code out there and we're generating future legacy code every day. I have two friends who came out of retirement to write assem...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Surveying ain't work

We baby boomers have lived our entire lives in a state of change. A computer science teacher I once worked with told me that my generation worked out ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Hurricane Barry

Here's the 6-month update on our Hurricane Florence last August. My son-in-law is a project manager for a contractor and has lived at the beach since ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: An 1880 Pin Cushion!

In Section 284 of the 1883 text, the average diameter of the earth is given to be 7919 miles. Solving the formula for reduction to sea level for h, us...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: CONVERTING DECIMAL DEGREES TO DMS IN EXCEL TO TWO PLACES (EXAMPLE 10?ø47'25.32")

Yes, as would negative convergence angles, which is where I was reunited with the problem. Back in my old Fortran days, we had a rounding subroutine f...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: CONVERTING DECIMAL DEGREES TO DMS IN EXCEL TO TWO PLACES (EXAMPLE 10?ø47'25.32")

You probably won't encounter any negative angles, but, if you do, the INT function will lead you astray. While INT(10.6) = 10, INT(-10.6) = -11. That'...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Static GPS control and on the ground traverse

From a purely mathematical perspective, there are two pieces of information regarding the nature of the coordinates. In the original post, measured di...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: New truck blues

I was looking at Carmax's annual report to see what their gross margin is. It's pretty thin, 13.6%. Their sales last year were $18.1 billion.  T...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: New truck blues

I think there are Fords and Toyotas in or near Greensboro. The first person I ever knew who used a truck solely for a daily commute was back in the l...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: New truck blues

I'm not a truck person, but one of my sons is. He uses his as a daily commuter and to tow his boat on week-ends. He often says that if you don't use a...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: New truck blues

I thought it was a misspelling of "youth". ?ÿ

7 years ago
Page 78 / 114