Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
2pi*(R+60) - 2pi*R = 2pi*60
AI hallucinated. That's where it confounds two concepts. You are right that the object appears higher and the correction has to be subtracted. AI conf...
I can relate. A bit off the track, commercials on Saturday morning tv often said, "Be the first on your block to...." I lived on a road and spent hour...
@mightymoe My mistake was ignoring the first term in the proper equations: X′=X0+(X−X0)×1.0003 Y′=Y0+(Y−Y0)×1.0003 Now where on earth did...
@norman-oklahoma Your experiment is fine. It's my math that's incomplete.
@mightymoe Right you are, Moe. I left out a step, adding the starting point back to the adjusted coordinate. Thanks for suffering this fool and b...
@mightymoe "To do so properly the point are inversed, the distances are multiplied by 1.0003 and new coordinates are calculated, which in my head w...
@norman-oklahoma I'd examine that experiment carefully. Intuitively, if you scale from a point that is one foot closer to the point you're scaling,...
@mightymoe Do what you think best. I've shown you that you're wrong and explained why. Fundamentally, you're ignoring the change induced by chang...
@mightymoe See, the problem with your second calculation is that the new Northing should be (1,000,000 - 100)*1.0003 = 1,000,199.97. That's a scale...
@mightymoe Calculate the distances from 0,0 to 1,000,003,1,000,003 and from 100,100 to 1,000,299.97, 1000,299.97. Are they the same?
@mightymoe The scale factor has nothing to do with the change in coordinate values created by changing the point you're scaling around. If what y...
@norman-oklahoma The given information is that a scaling point of 0,0 has changed to 0.1, 0.05. The question is, did the other project coordinates ...
They're the same thing. If you scale about 1000, 1000 and then about 1001, 1001, all coordinates will shift by 1 foot in each direction. It's a simple...
"However, through all the upgrades the scale point for the local scale modification has shifted slightly, it says N0.1', E0.05' for some reason." It...
The distances won't change, but the coordinates will change by the adjustment to the origin. Let's look at it algebraically. Originally, the Northin...
@andy-nold Interesting. Adjusting the 1890 published azimuth by subtracting 0.024 minutes from it creates a True North azimuth to the point. Wouldn...
Last one, I promise, but I just had to ask, perhaps from misinterpreting @john-putnam on the use of CORS)96).Those of us who live in ultra stable geol...
@john-putnam Great fun for me, too. According to Google AI, which doesn't have ADHD but does hallucinate every now and then, 2007 and 2011 are key ...