Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
@holy-cow?ÿ Good story and very true overall. It's harder to go from the map to the ground or from the ground to the map than it seems. Math is abst...
@holy-cow?ÿ Now HC, you know all about them differentials and infinitesimals. They're the bedrock of engineering. And you also know that once you us...
@mightymoe?ÿ My last comment on this thread. The Project Adjustment Factor is reciprocal of the Average Combined Factor. There is no need for another...
Let's start with the scale factor which math-dictionary.com has defined correctly. In the context of map projections, the similar figures are infitesi...
@mightymoe "The grid scale factor will be easting dependent in a Transverse Mercator projection. The NGS published books with eastings and a grid sca...
@mightymoe?ÿ See, Moe, that's perversion of terms that I'm talking about. When you divide a ground distance by a grid distance, you are calculating t...
@mightymoe?ÿ What is it, then?
@mightymoe?ÿ Transverse Mercator or Lambert are not different in the use of scale, elevation, and combined factors. In NGS definitions, which it see...
@mightymoe?ÿ Now, Moe, I admire you and your approach to surveying problem solving more than you will ever know. But having introduced Michael Dennis...
@rover83?ÿ Yes. I came to surveying terminology late and learned from NGS, books, you guys, GISers, trial and error, etc. Here's a snippet from a Dat...
@john-nolton?ÿ I'm not the most sophisticated user, but I usually either copy the picture and paste it into Paint or save it and open it in Paint. Th...
@holy-cow?ÿ Indeed.?ÿ
@holy-cow?ÿ As the sophisticated, educated ones say, "Good catch." As I would say, "Sorry 'bout that. It was a dumb mistake." This should clear thin...