Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Last seen: October 4, 2026 10:37 am
Most of the three shot readings I take are closely spaced, such as 4.454, 4.454, and 4.453. If I get readings such as these I stop after three shots. ...
@lurker We aren't rocking the rod. It was just an analogy that we use to justify our method.
Welcome! I would be interested in reading about anything you recently learned in college regarding abandoning old surveying methods for new ones.
@rover83 Still, my question remains as to the soundness of our method. I say the outlier, the lowest rod reading in my example, occurred when the rod...
@jitterboogie No problem at all!
These curve calculators, and other calculators/unit converters, are rampant on the Internet. I used one for U.S. Survey Foot conversions just the othe...
@jitterboogie My post is about average reading vs. lowest reading.
@thebionicman We aren't rocking the rod. I guess I did a poor job writing this post.
@350rocketmike Cove Stake & Wood Products, Inc. wrote: Lath is made of thin hardwood lumber and is commonly used for surveying. Pine Lath can be...
@robertusa County BMs must be identifiable and stamped with a letter-number identifier. An example would be S-1065-007 (fictitious), where "S" is the...
I had to look up ardoch, actually ardox nails. They have a screw-like spiral thread on the shank. In my search, I came upon an interesting piece of na...
@flga-2-2 I've got my facts wrong. I live very close to the Tosohatchee Wildlife Management Area, not the Deseret Ranches. Every time I smell somethi...
@flga-2-2 Good story! I live very close to the Deseret Ranches. I heard they were surveyed not too long ago in preparation for a huge development of ...
@mark-mayer I may be using the wrong lexicon. We have one county-wide vertical control network. The purpose of this project is to connect two level r...
@norman-oklahoma We are connecting two vertical control networks together.
@james-fleming Looks like a train station.
I'm a proponent of the third point check, especially for staking points. I once worked under an experienced field crew supervisor for a road stake-out...
Excellent advice! One of our party chiefs always writes down all rod height changes on a separate piece of paper.
I like it!