AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
bill93
bill93
@bill93
Member P&R, Founder
Joined: July 1, 2010 9:00 pm
Last seen: September 30, 2026 5:43 pm
Topics: 291 / Replies: 9714
Reply
RE: Accuracy of Alignment with an El Cheapo Handheld

WGS84 to NAD83 is maybe 3 ft. And with all of the consumer units I've checked, it doesn't matter whether you set them to WGS84 or NAD83 because they ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Accuracy of Alignment with an El Cheapo Handheld

They love open sky, which Kent probably had. Still, that seems better than I'd expect. I did some fixed location tests with hours of data over sever...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Pictures from field

No iron because most of them were set before magnetic locators were available to surveyors.

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Accurate Stakeout with Rebar/Cap

Like everything - yes, no & maybe>1952 subdivision where 'scribed spruce' were set as the original cornersAnd I'll bet the plat doesn't even cl...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Least Squares Excel Spreadsheet?

I think the OP is doing this as a hobby or educational project, not a profession, so won't likely be buying a pro package.As I mentioned before, Star*...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Help with curve description

Chord 25.000 gives arc 25.00286, so over the full length you'll be off by about the magic number 0.04 between arc and sum of chords.The radius looks l...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Earth Curvature and Refraction

My newer textbook gives the formulas for correction in feet h' = 0.667 (Miles)^2 = 0.0239 (feet/1000)^2and in metric h' = 78.5 (kilometers)^2 corr...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Railroad Curve-101

All the discussion of the track adjusting into a spiral makes sense, but if you eyeballed the result and tried to fit a simple circular curve it would...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Least Squares Excel Spreadsheet?

Matlab is somewhat pricy. You might look into freeware clones that offer somewhat similar capabilities, including Scilab, Octave, Rlab and SciPy.See ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Least Squares Excel Spreadsheet?

Dave's answer is good. I'll be more long-winded.Least squares is applicable at any level of precision. Its main strengths are the ability to accommo...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Least Squares Excel Spreadsheet?

As Ralph mentioned, to reduce typical surveying data you have to linearize the equations for distance and angle/bearing by using the partial derivativ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Leica GEB171 - How To Open

>10 each 850mAh NiMH cellsJust so you don't get confused in looking at someone's catalog: It looks to me like the 850 mA is the recommended charge ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Railroad Curve-101

If you start with 3-15-00 railroad degree of curve, and 23 degree delta, I concur with Robert Locke's numbers except that his length is the arc length...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: What to use for ephemeral control point marking

Is this a just cautionary fear or documented occurrence? I doubt a cow would down a 60d nail. What does the plastic do to them, poison, clog up their...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Continuously Measured HA/HT

If you are worried about movement in a suspension, I wondered about the problem of keeping the antenna rod vertical.You're okay with a moderate height...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Instrument on a plane

I always felt the world was somehow cheated when they sold off the measurement line as Agilent and kept the HP name for the computers. HP back in the...

12 years ago
Page 408 / 501