AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

Topcon GT 505 vertical issue

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
1,519 Views
Justin D.
(@justin-d)
Posts: 2
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Hello all,

I manage the survey department for my company and I've been noticing some issues with my Topcon GT 505. i will set up and take a back sight and have .002 horizontal error and .001 vertical error which is great. If I do stakeout, I haven't seen issues, but when I set new control and take the Topo shot, then subsequently set up on said control I'll pick up ~.04 of error in the vertical when I backsight. My points I'm setting are roughly 300 feet apart with not much vertical difference between them. I've run all of the collimations in the robot and it didn't come up with any wild adjustments.

Looking for any advice; we paid 30k for the ability to do XYZ in one go and I'm not getting that.

Thanks


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 9:33 am
gregg-gaffney
(@gregg-gaffney)
Posts: 200
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Justin,

We had bought a new GT-1003 and were having almost a tench in vertical error - definitely not acceptable.
Have you run not only the Collimation routine but also the "Image Sensor-Reticle Offset" routine?

That was what fixed our issues. I will continue to check this but we ran this against 5-6 other instruments and this is the only one that was off.
After our dealer ran that routine the instrument now checks within thousandths to our control lines.

Hope this helps.


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 9:39 am
Justin D.
(@justin-d)
Posts: 2
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Gregg Gaffney, post: 444253, member: 1111 wrote: Justin,

We had bought a new GT-1003 and were having almost a tench in vertical error - definitely not acceptable.
Have you run not only the Collimation routine but also the "Image Sensor-Reticle Offset" routine?

That was what fixed our issues. I will continue to check this but we ran this against 5-6 other instruments and this is the only one that was off.
After our dealer ran that routine the instrument now checks within thousandths to our control lines.

Hope this helps.

I ran that routine as well. I notice though if I look through the sights in the Robot it isn't directly centered on my prism it looks offset down and to the right. Have you noticed that? And did running that routine fix it. If so I may not have done the routine correctly.


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 9:45 am
gregg-gaffney
(@gregg-gaffney)
Posts: 200
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

gotta be honest, I know that some instruments will NOT center on the prism crosshairs and will offset automatically but I don't think the Topcons do this.
That is actually what alerted my dealer to the fact that there was an issue. The crosshairs were offset quite a bit from the center of the prism and once he ran that routine they went back to where they should be. I should have watched a bit closer.


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 9:54 am
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
Posts: 3371
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Justin D., post: 444257, member: 12994 wrote: I notice though if I look through the sights in the Robot it isn't directly centered on my prism it looks offset down and to the right.

Very typical of auto-tracking instruments. The sensors can't be in the telescope centerline. If they were they would obscure your view. It's compensated for.


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 9:55 am

gregg-gaffney
(@gregg-gaffney)
Posts: 200
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

interesting, i could swear they told me that while some instruments are offset the Topcons are not.
I will have to check this


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 9:59 am
gregg-gaffney
(@gregg-gaffney)
Posts: 200
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Mark, you are correct - my apologies.
tried to print the page from the manual but its not letting me - its on page 53 if you need it Justin


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 10:05 am
scott-ellis
(@scott-ellis)
Posts: 1181
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

When we got our Topcon QS a few years ago, we notice the vertical was off. It had to do with the range pole, there was a plastic piece inside the range pole, maybe they had it for shipping, but once we took the piece out, everything was fine.


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 10:10 am
paul-in-pa
(@paul-in-pa)
Posts: 6034
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

If you are not taking D&R shots on control foresights and backsights you are wasting your time trying to save time.

D&R foresight and backsight comparisons are your first, best alert regarding instrument adjustments.

Scott Ellis, before you ever use a rangepole and first thing each day when you take it out of the truck, you tape check rod point to prism distance against the rod reading.

Paul in PA


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 10:29 am
scott-ellis
(@scott-ellis)
Posts: 1181
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Paul in PA, post: 444265, member: 236 wrote: If you are not taking D&R shots on control foresights and backsights you are wasting your time trying to save time.

D&R foresight and backsight comparisons are your first, best alert regarding instrument adjustments.

Scott Ellis, before you ever use a rangepole and first thing each day when you take it out of the truck, you tape check rod point to prism distance against the rod reading.

Paul in PA

Yes Paul, we checked the range pole that is how we found out, about the piece of plastic in the rod. Most of the new total stations now have range poles to use with the total station that has the correct height for the prism. The piece was only about 1 or 2 hundreds thick.

If we are giving out obvious advice, Paul before you put your shoes on in the morning, you need to put your socks on first.


 
Posted : August 31, 2017 10:47 am

ouchjamoi
(@ouchjamoi)
Posts: 4
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Our company bought this Topcon GT-505... I have been using this for about a year now... recently i have having issues like "there is not enought space on the drive location", and now the programs wont load... always stock at "executing program mode" and nothing happens... anybody can help me with this problem?

THank you in advance...


 
Posted : November 2, 2020 12:47 am