AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

Replacing aging Geodimeter 600 Pro — will Trimble 5603 DR200 pair with SMI 48GX?

5 Posts
4 Users
1 Reactions
1,264 Views
JDBAKER56
(@jdbaker56)
Posts: 2
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Gents,

I just joined the forum. Happy I found it. I am an old semi-retired LS with equipment I love but it is also old. I run a Geodimeter 600 pro robot with a 48GX SMI data collector. Same system for 26 years. I now have the dreaded replace the backup battery flash when I fire up the gun. The shop I used to use will no longer support this gun. Looking on ebay I have found a Trimble 5603 Dr200 Robot at a reasonable price. I would probably just be exchanging one fragile system for another but I am willing to take a chance to get another year or 2 before I hang it up.  My question is, does anyone know if this gun would work with the SMI Data Collector. It appears the guns use radios on different radio frequencies (red dot vs blue dot) Is this a problem? The system comes with a Trimble TSC2, but I have no idea how to run it or if that would be a data collection system equal to the SMI. Thanks to anyone that can help 


 
Posted : June 3, 2026 10:09 am
surveyorjake
(@surveyorjake)
Posts: 152
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Nothing is equal to SMI. Just my opinion.


 
Posted : June 5, 2026 4:53 am
1
james-vianna
(@james-vianna)
Posts: 696
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Why give up the geodimeter I'm running two now. Send it out to Jason ellerbush. He has done a great job for me for over 20 years.

 


This post was modified 4 months ago by james-vianna
 
Posted : June 5, 2026 5:48 pm
james-vianna
(@james-vianna)
Posts: 696
Member P&R, Founder
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 


 
Posted : June 5, 2026 5:50 pm
field-dog
(@field-dog)
Posts: 1582
Member
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Posted by: @jdbaker56
↑

My question is, does anyone know if this gun would work with the SMI Data Collector.

What version SMI surveying card do you own?

Western States Cable - Survey Equipment Cables


This post was modified 4 months ago by field-dog
 
Posted : June 5, 2026 7:11 pm