AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

Incorrect GEB221 battery level Leica TPS1200 series?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
2,009 Views
timd1971
(@timd1971)
Posts: 242
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Curious if this may be a firmware bug as heard it could be?

Without testing on earlier version firmware, I updated to the very last available firmware V9.03 available for Leica TCRA1205.

The Kastar batteries are completely charged to 100% on charger, but shows as 11% on the Leica itself?

I've heard that even though says 11% they are actually full and run 4-5 hours.

Anyone else use these and if ran across this? I will run these and see if I get 4-5 hours when I get a chance.

Yes, I know, genuine Leica $$$$ batteries are the best.

I know the other off-brand UPSTART BATTERY are pure crap.

But giving this Kastar option a shot.

Kastar 2-Pack Battery and LTD2 USB Charger Compatible with Leica Survey Equipment, Total Station GNSS Receiver, GPS900, GPS1200, GRX1200, GX1200, VIA, Piper 100, Piper 200, RX1200, RX900, SR20 https://a.co/d/c92NoZu


 
Posted : March 15, 2024 3:31 pm
john-putnam
(@john-putnam)
Posts: 2466
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Its most likely a battery issue. Lithium ion batteries have an onboard chip that communicates with the devise/charger. If it is not programmed correctly, it will show weird things.

I have some other off brand GEB212s that always show flashing red lights on any charger Leica charger other than the GKL112. When used with the GS16, they give a low battery warning intermittently but last the full day. I contacted the supplier whom acknowledged issue. He also pointed out the fine print on the product information sheet that mentioned this up front. He said they had not been able to get a good reverse engineering of the chip.

I do have an off brand GEB221 on Ebay that seems to work. When I get back to the office I'll try to find the brand.


 
Posted : March 16, 2024 1:22 am
timd1971
(@timd1971)
Posts: 242
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Thank you John. Very much appreciated! I knew I wasn't going crazy! 😜 So prob not the firmware or bug.

I bought them just for backups and size simplicity, as I use a external battery/cable LiFePO4 which last days and super light.

DC HOUSE 12V 6Ah Rechargeable LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery with 3000+ Times Deep Cycles and BMS Protection for Fish Finder, Power Wheels, Scooter, Light, Kids Car,UPS https://a.co/d/bgYRwaI


 
Posted : March 16, 2024 1:50 am
john-putnam
(@john-putnam)
Posts: 2466
Member Founder, Sustainer
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Went into the office. The off brand GEB 221 that works with my 1201 is from UpStartBattery dot com


 
Posted : March 17, 2024 3:48 am
timd1971
(@timd1971)
Posts: 242
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Thank you John. I figured that is who it was.

I may give them another try for the GEB221 Li-ion batteries for the TPS1200 series. I had bought a couple of their GEB121 NiMH batteries on Amazon and returned them as they didn't last but the 1/3 of a genuine Leica battery... so useless... but those were NiMH batteries so maybe their Li-ion batteries are better.

I'll give them another shot as really need correct battery level readout of course.

Thank you John "The Leica Guy"! : ) ... u r always so helpful!


 
Posted : March 17, 2024 4:20 am

ramses
(@ramses)
Posts: 126
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

We've been using the original Leica GEB222 with our 2006 TCRP1201 , and they last a full day and some when new. After 4 years of daily use, they hold about 60% of the original charge so you need 2 batteries to finish the day. We found that the price of the original Leica GEB222 was really worth it given the long service life. We use GEB222 on all our Geomax Zoom90/95 robots as well, because of the higher capacity.


 
Posted : April 1, 2024 11:37 pm
beuckie
(@beuckie)
Posts: 349
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I never use cheap rebranded ones. Always do these batteries fail or come short when trying to use them like branded ones.

Why use $$$ instruments but fail to spend a dime on a battery? Same with these cheap prisms and other stuff...


 
Posted : April 2, 2024 12:05 am