Trimble Business Center — Produce final deliverables in one workspace. Start free trial.

AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all

SurvCE version 6 and Topcon 8200 Distance and angle problem

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
1,311 Views
laxbobcatsurveyor
(@laxbobcatsurveyor)
Posts: 44
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I have a topcon 8200 paired with Carlson SurvCE version 6.?ÿ I have noticed the distance when traversing is bumping back and forth 0.02' on the data collector along with angular errors being greater than 10" when they should be 5" or less.?ÿ When I check the faceplate for the actual distance and angle readings coming out of the gun they are fine and are well within tolerance for angle and dont bounce any on distance.?ÿ Is there a known bug in SurvCE or is there additional calibration techniques such as "re aligning tracking prism" that need to be performed regularly?

We have been able to get by with recording angles and distances by hand, and taking multiple measurements, but there has to be a better way.


 
Posted : December 16, 2020 7:47 am
paul-in-pa
(@paul-in-pa)
Posts: 6034
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Check your rod bubble, verify that the rod prism is well aligned and the the prism is giving a good clean image. i.e. you want to see sharp prism corner lines as you focus in and out.

I have a Sokkia that just cannot get a reverse shot to my satisfaction, auto centering fails to agree with what I see through the lens.

Paul in PA


 
Posted : December 16, 2020 8:29 am
mag-eye
(@mag-eye)
Posts: 176
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

Check your prism constant settings in the D.C.

If the D.C. is not matching your T.S. displayed distances my bet is this is your issue.

other than that maybe a possibility of using a scale factor other than 1.0


 
Posted : December 18, 2020 12:04 pm
ladd-nelson
(@ladd-nelson)
Posts: 738
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

I checked the Carlson knowledgebase for "8200" and article 366 appeared:

https://web.carlsonsw.com/files/knowledgebase/kbase05.php?action=display_topic&topic_id=366

You might explore this route to see if it bears any fruit. Otherwise, Carlson Tech Support might have other insights.

I hope this information helps.


 
Posted : December 19, 2020 5:19 am
hooks
(@hooks)
Posts: 74
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

SurvCE and SurvPC 6 is garbage. Carlson needs to fix this in a bad way. I have used Carlson since version 2 and 6 is really making my think about leaving. I am sending them an email on Monday. 6 crashes, 6 locks up a Surveyor2, 6 doesnƒ??t remember instrument settings, the point coding has a bug, it constantly disconnects from the robot. SurvCE 6 cost me time and money and Iƒ??ve pretty much had enough, no... I have, Iƒ??m pissed. I need version 5 to run a BRX7 is what I need. 6 is trash.?ÿ


 
Posted : December 19, 2020 6:33 am

rundatline
(@rundatline)
Posts: 259
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@hooks

Most likely user error. I run several brands of equipment with v6. Zero problems.


 
Posted : December 19, 2020 7:38 am
MarkSilver
(@mark-silver)
Posts: 713
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@hooks If you have been upgrading through versions, even just from 6.04 to 6.08, do a clean install.

Here is a link to my suggested method [ CleanInstall]?ÿ

I can verify that I have seen similar issues with settings, constants and mount points changing. It appears to me that a clean install completely fixes these problems. Worth a try.


 
Posted : December 19, 2020 10:42 am
laxbobcatsurveyor
(@laxbobcatsurveyor)
Posts: 44
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@paul-in-pa

I appreciate it.?ÿ We have checked those and the crazy thing seems to be if reading angles and distances directly from the face plate everything checks great up to or better than specs.?ÿ However if using SurvCE there is a common problem of excessive angular and distance error that doesnt show up when just using the face plate.?ÿ Almost like there is a correction setting somewhere that I havent found.


 
Posted : December 23, 2020 10:40 am
laxbobcatsurveyor
(@laxbobcatsurveyor)
Posts: 44
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@mag-eye

I appreciate it we checked this as well.?ÿ The only thing I can think of is the compenssator is double correcting.?ÿ With this model gun we have had the compensator on both axis in SurvCE settings, however is it getting corrected in the gun before sending the info to SurvCE therefore not needing the compensator set in SurvCE?


 
Posted : December 23, 2020 10:41 am
laxbobcatsurveyor
(@laxbobcatsurveyor)
Posts: 44
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@ladd-nelson

I appreciate it and will look at that, though we arent using the RC2 for communication we are using the Paranni Bluetooth radios.?ÿ You may know the answer I posed above as well.?ÿ With the Topcon 8000 series do I need to apply the compensator in robotics settings or is it already applied in the gun and by doing so Im double correcting the compensator?


 
Posted : December 23, 2020 10:51 am

ladd-nelson
(@ladd-nelson)
Posts: 738
Free
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 

@laxbobcatsurveyor I do not have enough familiarity with the Topcon 8000 series to know the correct answer to your question and I'm attempting to get some insights from the Carlson Tech Support team over the current Holiday schedule. I believe that when SurvCE communicates with the instrument and you instruct it to apply the compensator in robotics settings, it simply sets the flags on the instrument as if they were made on the instrument so you don't have to walk back to the instrument and set them manually. What I'm unsure of is if the Parani Bluetooth radio changes the equation. I don't believe it does because it is essentially the long-range BlueTooth equivalent of a serial cable but I would recommend some correspondence with the Carlson Technical Support team to make sure. You'll want to have your specific version of SurvCE/SurvPC (found under its "About" button) along with the firmware information of the field equipment (found via the blue "i" button when you access the equipment under Equip -- Total Station). I hope this information helps.


 
Posted : December 24, 2020 10:53 am
laxbobcatsurveyor
(@laxbobcatsurveyor)
Posts: 44
Free
Topic starter
Translate ▼
English
Spanish
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Hindi
Dutch
Polish
Turkish
Vietnamese
Thai
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Norwegian
Czech
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Hebrew
Indonesian
Malay
Ukrainian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Slovak
Slovenian
Serbian
Lithuanian
Latvian
Estonian
 
  1. Ladd, I'm a bit ashamed it's taken me this long to respond.?ÿ It was operator error and the issue was my not understanding there was a collimation routine for the standard use, and a collimation routine for the tracking.?ÿ Once I figured that out it's worked fantastic.?ÿ On a side note calrson help desk has always been super helpful on any issue encountered which I always make sure to stress when people ask me about my software setup both field and office.?ÿ Kudos to you guys. @Ladd Nelson

 
Posted : September 14, 2022 6:21 pm