Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Last seen: April 21, 2026 10:50 am
@bstrand Roger, waaaay too far to sight across the lake. Maybe a mile?
@mightymoe Yes. The water was just a turning a point. It was a relatively small lake, water was calm. We did a foresight on it, jumped in the truck...
@bstrand Not sure if I understand your question. We were using a level and level rod to do the level loop.
We were doing a long level loop once, and instead of leveling around the lake, we "turned" on it. Did a foresight onto the waters edge, walked around...
Surveyors who are working with the CORS system will start using these coordinates in their boundary surveys without even visiting the monument. Imagi...
This is why my shoulder hurts so bad today: doing topo all day long, spinning the verniers to read the horizontal and vertical angles. Back when you n...
This is the correct answer. It only becomes a headache when DOT (or city, town, etc.) wants to dedicate it as public R.O.W. and needs to track down th...
"Goal Post" for me. My party chief tried to beat 4 into me, but my 4 looked too much like a 9. He gave up.
The county is the only entity that can enforce zoning setbacks. The home owners association is the only entity that can enforce covenants. The courts...
It gets real fun when you are trying to sight along a hot highway in the summer, and you are splitting the tripod as it jumps back and forth! I had a ...
All good responses here. I will add this: if you give the client a discount on the fee for this project, tell them why you are doing it. Once you p...
I have seen drive rod monuments jacked 15' into the air from frost heaving. But they were not set to NGS 3D specifications with the sand, grease slee...
Totally agree with your assessment of the situation. The ground moves, freezes, thaws, settles, and heaves. Everything that is on top of it is moving...
SMI is/was the best. I still have it on my HP48 on my desk, use it for curve solutions. Back when I was in the field, I could do anything on it the sa...
The issue is in government. State politicians want to ensure that all licensed professionals have the skills required to protect public health and sa...
We have been using Leica GPS for over 20 years, and almost exclusively DO NOT use the expensive Leica cards. The cards we use are high quality, and I...
The 40’ radius cul-de-sac was never built and the road is now a private road in a multi owner subdivision. The road doesn't automatically become ...
The front lot line is clearly defined by the subdivision plat. It is an arc of 74.71 feet that has a radius of 40 feet from the calculated center of ...