AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
murphy
murphy
@murphy
Member
Joined: April 15, 2015 2:28 pm
Last seen: September 29, 2026 6:54 pm
Topics: 37 / Replies: 921
Reply
RE: Squatters

Four years ago was the last time I made the mistake of not firing a client who purposely didn't tell me an important detail of the work. Obviously, ea...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Navigating in the forest with a compass

Moving in a straight line through dense forests is challenging to say the least. After some practice in young growth New England forests, which were d...

5 months ago
Topic
Reply
RE: Let's discuss defining curves in tract descriptions

NC requires bearing and distance of the long chord. General practice is to include radius and arc length along with the chord data.

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Explaining elevation-related issues to the general public

@dave-o Using Avery County, NC as an example, there's almost no naturally flat land. The majority of natural land is well above 15% grade I believe Av...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Explaining elevation-related issues to the general public

It depends on the client. When I worked in Appalachia, I kept a carpenter's square with me and would draw a square with the t-edge then stand the squa...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Let's discuss ingress/egress easements

I’d delineate the full path/road but break it at the new boundary. The portion intended for the easement would be labeled Area-A (or similar) and the ...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: False Point to Compensate for Distance Discrepancy

@jim-frame That's a descent requirement. Basically you'd just need to show metadata and provide the coordinates and accuracy from a nearby CORS. I ...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Man sues NC Survey Board after being issued cease and desist for flying drone

Our board of licensure prevailed. The Fourth Circuit held that NC may require a PLS license for drone-based photogrammetry that produces measurable da...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: False Point to Compensate for Distance Discrepancy

@dave-o I've had many clients tell me they didn't need me to do this or that. I had an old timer furious because I insisted on locating both ends o...

5 months ago
Reply
RE: Don’t you just love fence company’s!!!

Yes, fence installers and landscapers destroy a lot of boundary monuments. Power companies have gotten better, but they used to purposely place poles ...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Trees

The plaintiff would have to provide evidence of the boundary's location in order to claim trespass. The forester could calculate current and future st...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Discrepancy Between VRS (Company 1) and Base Station/Rover (Company 2)

I like quizzing the contractor's GPS guy about their surveying procedures and what I've learned is that they are not surveyors and don't know what the...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Flagging corners

Blue also stands out to color blind folks. I had kid working with me that was one of the 8% of males in the USA that are color blind. He couldn't see ...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Discrepancy Between VRS (Company 1) and Base Station/Rover (Company 2)

VRSs vary but I've never seen one be off by 0.6' in the open. That 0.6' is close to length of an adapter placed on a prism pole to make the antenna he...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Trimble tsc3 field to finish

jimcox has the right idea. Field coding is extremely helpful for crews to keep track of what they've located and fill in any gaps. Many PLSs and PMs m...

6 months ago
Reply
RE: Flagging corners

Whether it's on a wood stake set next to the monument or a nearby tree, boundary corners get flagged thrice with blue and pink with the knots facing t...

7 months ago
Reply
RE: Any recommendations for third party verified digital signatures?

I hesitated to use digital signatures until I began keeping track of the time I spent printing and signing documents plus the cost of reprints. Even a...

7 months ago
Reply
RE: Stake out with GNSS

It sounds like you and or your company have found an efficient way to take ellipsoid measurements and scale them to Ground instead of calculating to S...

7 months ago
Reply
RE: Stake out with GNSS

The SC-SPCS consists of a single Lambert Conformal Conic projection that covers the entire state so there's no need to specify a zone. The general con...

7 months ago
Page 2 / 48