AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
MightyMoe
MightyMoe
@mightymoe
Member P&R, Founder
Joined: September 22, 2010 9:13 am
Last seen: October 10, 2026 1:50 pm
Topics: 1006 / Replies: 9703
Reply
RE: Scale Factor

@norman-oklahoma 40 zones would probably work well. I'd be all for it.

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Scale Factor

It was based on the idea that the 2022 will be IF, so they decided to shift newer NAD83 SP projects to IF from USF (don't blame me). There is no legis...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Scale Factor

@mathteacher You've got a handle on it mathteacher. I've been cautiously excited to have the new 2022 NGS coordinate systems get unveiled. Or is it...

11 months ago
Reply
11 months ago
Reply
RE: Scale Factor

That's where it gets very curious. I finished two rather large projects for them, one running north of the city and one running south. Both were on th...

11 months ago
Reply
RE: Scale Factor

It's an interesting question. To me holding the established factor would be the default position. I have quite a data base for this area so in theory ...

11 months ago
Topic
12 months ago
Replies: 19
Views: 2308
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

You're probably correct, with the section corner there is an infinite number of possibilities (thus my number is way too small). How to quantify placi...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

@pls8xx Yep, that's what happens, there are too many permutations to make math work for a solution. You end up with many answers, so then you get a...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

Well, the math doesn't lie, it's just math. You can't feel it, you can't touch it, it makes a terrible monument. 😉    

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

There comes a time when proration has to be used. The rules for that are clear. Unfortunately, it's often used when it shouldn't be used. Lost ...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

A math solution is an absurd solution. I've done plenty of them, but consider the implications. A deck of cards has 52 distinct cards. How many dif...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

@gary_g Math ends up being a scourge in surveying when its misused. I think maybe because it's the easy thing.

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

The first sentence is one where I have some disagreement with Lucas. For the second one, the original monument has to be proven as original, withou...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

@pls8xx The link takes you to page 1 and 2 of the publication or page 9 and 10 (I think) of the PDF where Lucas discusses the pin cushion effect. I...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

There is not right with every monument, there is only one corner position. The surveyor needs to use his expertise, experience and knowledge to resolv...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

Let me be the contrarian and say: "setting more monuments obscures the truth"  

12 months ago
Reply
RE: The most pin cushions I have ever seen in one place

Read Jeff Lucas's paper uploaded above. He expresses it better than I do. Putting a cloud on landowner's title isn't a trivial act. Also, how m...

12 months ago
Reply
12 months ago
Page 20 / 536