Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
@norm Correct, and sea level under NAD27 was effectively the ellipsoid. There was one tie of the geoid to the ellipsoid and that was at Meades Ranc...
@olemanriver Yes, and it does that in NC. It was surprising to me (I had never thought about it) but neither the 1927 nor the 1983 versions of the ...
@mightymoe Yep and don't forget that the earth is flat.
@olemanriver Think about that for a minute. Population has nothing to do with elevation or scale. In NC, all the new projection does is relocate th...
@jerry-attrick Dude, do you see the big paywall that covers the text? Now up in the upper right and corner of that graphic is an X. See, clickin...
Yes. Three year old article featuring Kent McMillan and property history and research. It's a small pain, but if you hit the cancel X in the paywal...
Last unsolicited post on this matter. Here's what ChatGPT and Google say about each other. This to ChatGPT: Your Google competi...
@olemanriver "I don’t think 1 means ground or grid. It means 1 to whatever you are in when using Trimble." More precisely, it's applied to whatev...
@norm Indeed! So, what's your opinion of the results from the 1? It seems that there's no wrong answer.
@lurker Yes, Trimble collects ground and modifies it according to what's set up. Note, though, that 1 would tell Trimble that the collected ground ...
@lurker But look carefully. In the second example, the one with CSF = 1, his entered coordinates were the GRID coordinates from the first example. ...
Enter this one in the plain old Google search window: can i enter 1 as a combined factor in a trimble total station?
@mightymoe OK, did you convert those grid coordinates back to ground before you entered the 1 combined factor? If you didn't, and I think that you ...
@lurker That's what happens without a combined factor entered. Entering the 1 overrides that state plane calculation and leaves the ground coordina...
@mightymoe See, that assumes that Trimble collects grid coordinates, but I think that it collects ground coordinates. Hence, the CSF of 1 is applie...
@lurker Yes, and that's the way a lot of people interpret it, But I think that Trimble always measures (or calculates from GPS) ground distances an...
@mightymoe No, I meant what I typed. It's just so fascinating. In just plain old Google, type this into the search field: what happens in trimble...
@mightymoe The Emperor and Vader are closing in on us. On the other hand, 2022 is now 2025 and NAD83 is still chugging along.
@olemanriver Indeed, it's powerful stuff. From ChatGPT, I learned that, at the lowest level, Trimble always collects ground data and converts it to...