AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@mightymoe Exactly what I do in the math world. Before Computer Algebra Systems (CAS), I would spend as much time as it took to integrate a difficu...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@mightymoe Moe, you're a pro who knows his equipment and how to get it to produce results that fit those job requirements. What seems to come up re...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@bstrand My rheumy old eyes led me to compute a combined factor using the two ground estimates instead of using the grid estimate and a ground esti...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

Yep. I pushed a wrong button. Sorry about that.

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@landbutcher464mhz But the CF you gave doesn't produce the result you claim.

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@mightymoe So, what does Access really do?

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@landbutcher464mhz I need to reconsider my answer to your original post. You wrote: I know for sure that my GPS measures grid when the CF is set ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

Here's a bit more AI speak based on Jim's comment: Can I measure in grid rather than ground? In that case what would happen with a...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@landbutcher464mhz Remember, this is ChatGPT's example, not mine. The "yes" in the copy and paste is my asking ChatGPT to show me its example. Caut...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

Here's a cut and paste from a ChatGPT session about Access and combined factors. Corrections and comments are solicited and welcome! ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@mightymoe Indeed. Just a cursory look at Montana State Plane coordinates near the Northern and Southern Borders shows that the elevation factors a...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@mightymoe That's an interesting challenge. I hope that you will permit me to substitute NC for CA. I'm more familiar with my home state. My star...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@mightymoe But the question is about the use of a combined factor of 1 in survey software calculations. The existence of a point with that characte...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@mightymoe Might not be able to do that in the High California Desert or Montana, although Montana's single-zone system might create the right comb...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@field-dog Generally speaking, ground distance and grid distance will not match regardless of the source of either. It will happen, though, when a ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@landbutcher464mhz Thanks for the the invite. We're roughly 2400 miles apart, so at 200 miles a day (long trip for me is 100 miles one-way, 200 tot...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

@mightymoe Moe, you and I often disagree, and I yield to you in all things surveying. However, 1.000 is a legitimate combined factor, just as 1.001...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Grid & Ground

The answer, assuming no errors, either human or machine, that your TS is reporting ground distances, and that there are no serious elevation changes t...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: root mean square workflow?

@olemanriver You're pretty much spot on. There are two errors that you can make: 1) Reject good datal or 2) accept bad data. A 95% test lowers th...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: False Point to Compensate for Distance Discrepancy

@john-putnam Indeed. I've marked axes on a tile floor to teach coordinate calculations. Students calculate oblique distances from coordinates and c...

1 year ago
Page 8 / 114