AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
RE: Calculation of geographical coordinates of the destination

@john-nolton Ballou and Steen is a great book for self study. Pages 3 - 120 on plane trig and pages 123 - 172 on spherical trig, no trig tables, but ...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Calculation of geographical coordinates of the destination

@john-nolton I may have, John. When I was teaching, I loaned many of my old books to other teachers and some never found their way back to me. The Ba...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Calculation of geographical coordinates of the destination

@geeoddmike Vincenty is one of my heroes, along with Oscar Adams, Rod Deakin, and Elon Musk. Speaking of Dr. Deakin, this paper of his provides an e...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Calculation of geographical coordinates of the destination

@geeoddmike My reference is Plane and Spherical Trigonometry by Ballou and Steen, 1943, bought in a used book store for $1.95 sometime in the late 19...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Considering a new truck?

@nate-the-surveyor Sound analysis. I've had a lemon or two among new vehicles, but I've never had a loser among the used ones. I like buying used.

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Monolith Back

@bill93 Does Uranus have an East Star?

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Considering a new truck?

@nate-the-surveyor Now, Nate, you know that it can go either way and you have to do good math to help decide. Either way, you're paying now for servi...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Calculation of geographical coordinates of the destination

@hakeyy Sorry for the delay. I've been off forecasting covid-19 for North Carolina (scary as hell!) creating polyconic projections for Pittsburgh (am...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Calculation of geographical coordinates of the destination

@bill93 Education has changed. It's all internet look-up now.

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Calculation of geographical coordinates of the destination

This is the nasty one from spherical trig. The problem is that the azimuth changes continuously along the course. The departure azimuth is sort of nor...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Work Jacket

@hi-staker I'm not sure what's misspelled. Truewerk seems like a coined term, recent maybe. Werk is spelled correctly in German. It would be nice to ...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: 1951 site plan

This seems to be the area in 1944, kind of the upper left-hand corner of the sheet:?ÿ/p> Hard to know how things look today and there are lots of ass...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: 1951 site plan

@bill93 I took a bit of a different approach and calculated the distance and grid azimuth from the origin to R336/16, roughly 4.4 miles and 43 degrees...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: 1951 site plan

Page 14 (page 20 in pdf reader) of the report gives the geographic coordinates of the grid origin of the 1925 system. It's a fascinating read, filled ...

6 years ago
Reply
RE: Are GIS or Geomatics Professionably Licensable Fields in Your State?

Pages 2 and 12 of NC law address this. I haven't followed the progression for several years, but I think the current version is much watered down from...

6 years ago
Page 53 / 114