AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
RE: I'm interested in practical geometry, including surveying and mapping

Some of my favorites: 400 meter tracks; circles, tangents, perimeter and area of odd shapes, etc. Airports; Compass deviation, lines on graphs, an...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Summer's almost gone, winter's coming on

@bill93 You're right about the monument's current position, Here's the data sheet recovery note: FA0051'RECOVERY NOTE BY GEOCACHING 2005 (WD)FA0051'...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Summer's almost gone, winter's coming on

@dougie?ÿ I was thinking of this one: (2) Billy Grammer - Gotta Travel On - Bing video

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Summer's almost gone, winter's coming on

@bill93?ÿ I wondered about the adhesive, but if it was set in 1896, then it would be remarkable if the elevation matched either of the later ones.

5 years ago
Topic
Replies: 10
Views: 1185
Reply
RE: Failing to convert XYZ to DMS

@john-nolton?ÿ Decent, John, and thanks for asking. I hope you and yours are doing well.

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Failing to convert XYZ to DMS

XYZ coordinates for NAD83 at this lat/lon should have a negative X and a positive Y. The NaN for Z sometimes results from using a non-numeric value as...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Ever use this area formula?

@aliquot?ÿ I think it's more a question of accuracy. In the example x^2 + 6x -0.001 = 0,?ÿ the actual roots to 7 places are 0.0001667 and -6.0001667....

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Ever use this area formula?

@bill93?ÿ Yes we would, and, conversely, when c is very small, we could ignore it (set it equal to 0) and solve by factoring. Consider x^2 + 6x - 0.0...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Ever use this area formula?

@bill93?ÿ It has a problem when c = 0. Then (-b + sqrt(b)) in the denominator is 0, 2c in the numerator is 0, and the fraction is indeterminate.

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Ever use this area formula?

@holy-cow?ÿ I can remember little oddities like a rectangle that is 1 chain by 10 chains is an acre. So 66 ft times 660 ft is an acre, 43,560 square ...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Ever use this area formula?

Not a formula that I know, so I would do something like this: h = q came quickly, tan (63 26 06) from calculator knowing that I needed the tangent t...

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Listening to surveyors argue

@flga-2-2?ÿ It's true! Not all actuaries are straight-shooters!

5 years ago
Reply
RE: Kirk out

@flga-2-2?ÿ His post-flight debriefing to Bezos was almost a book. Old camera hog.

5 years ago
Page 37 / 114