Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Is it the I that's wrong or is it the N?
@holy-cow?ÿ Was he a laid carpenter or a laid-out carpenter? The latter group do reek after a couple of days.
@dmyhill?ÿ In many cases, I agree with you. But a dairy farmer who woke up one morning to?ÿ find bulldozers splitting one of his pastures 3/4 - 1/4 d...
The NCDOT right of way manual is 447 pages. I haven't read it all, but this little snippet on page 82 caught my eye: We have more lawyers today and ...
@field-dog?ÿ Indeed. By the way, there's an error in the formula that calculates azimuth in the spreadsheet. it should be: =Degrees(Atan(E3)) That ...
If you'll permit me one last lick at this poor old horse, what Carlson did is regress the Eastings on the Northings. Easting is the dependent variable...
@field-dog?ÿ That makes sense and is a great approach from a math viewpoint. The regression line with nearly-zero x-coefficient included all of seven...
@bill93?ÿpretty well nailed how close everything is. This drawing puts in the two best-fit lines on the west and east sides. Because the east side has...
The question of understanding what regression is doing sent me back to my old business statistics textbook from college, ca 1965 or so. The book had f...
@field-dog?ÿ This is from the bare bones FooPlot grapher.?ÿ The regression equation from?ÿfor these points is?ÿ y = The x-coefficient is almost ...
@field-dog?ÿ I plotted the points in Geogebra, assuming that the smaller number in each pair is the Easting and the larger is the Northing. Three of ...
@field-dog?ÿ Notice that one of the offsets is left and the other 4 are right, so they are not all on one side of the line. Note also that, if you ad...
@bill93?ÿ You're correct about the y-difference rather than the perpendicular distance. I knew that, but I've been off working with some analytic geo...
I'm a bit confused here, so help me understand. When you do a linear regression line of best fit, you're minimizing the sum of the squares of the perp...
Dang! I've almost been there! I35 from Olathe to Wichita on the way to Pratt. Beautiful drive that proves Kansas is not altogether flat.?ÿ
Agree. Perhaps the proper question is what is the chance that two peas chosen at random from a randomly-selected pod are similar. Then the related Bay...