AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
RE: Digging out the truth

Right, and that's the published answer. But, if you consider the two error components, 5mm and 2ppm, to each be standard errors, then the total standa...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Digging out the truth

I'm sure that the units conversion was part of the problem. In the published solution, 0.016 feet was used as the equivalent of one millimeter, so I u...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Digging out the truth

I hear you, Nate. This old teacher has 9 working days left before his retirement begins. Your reflection applies to education, too. I can't precisely ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Digging out the truth

So the first source is consistent with Rueger. Some manufacturers' specs put the two components in parentheses as Rueger did. Perhaps that is a clue t...

12 years ago
Topic
Replies: 17
Views: 1126
Reply
RE: Example of Relative Uncertainty - Star*Net

One item that lends credence to the analysis is the dramatic change in uncertainty for the length of the shortest line in your second table. Do you lo...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: LDP vs Ground Coordinates Challenge

The one that started this thread covers only a few thousand square meters. I'm not a surveyor, so my opinion on such things shouldn't count for very m...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: LDP vs Ground Coordinates Challenge

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. By the way, a Google search for DAF turned up this item. I think it's paragraph 6 that describes the DAF in terms of ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: LDP vs Ground Coordinates Challenge

If State Plane coordinates are multiplied by the DAF to get ground coordinates, then the DAF is the reciprocal of a combined factor. Calling it someth...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: State Plane Distortion Visuals

Loyal can cram several dollars worth of knowledge in his 2 bits worth, can't he?

12 years ago
Reply
RE: State Plane Distortion Visuals

That's a fair question; I hope my answer does it justice.Scale distortion is a result of the mathematics of map projections and is unique to the speci...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: State Plane Distortion Visuals

I don't remember where I first saw distortion in terms of LDPs, but I just remembered where I saw it in terms of State Plane. It's in Stem's NGS 5 man...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: State Plane Distortion Visuals

I just do math, but LDPs are an interesting issue. And Kent is not terribly wide of the mark with his reference to finding ways to accommodate for lac...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: State Plane Distortion Visuals

Iowa is implementing state-wide LDPs, 12 zones I think. The website you visited is the company that did the work for Iowa. It's Michael Dennis' compan...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: State Plane Distortion Visuals

You're right. Perhaps the choice of the word distortion for this indicator wasn't the best one. It is descriptive but, as you pointed out, it's been d...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: State Plane Distortion Visuals

You looked at the Iowa Handbook, didn't you?

12 years ago
Reply
RE: State Plane Distortion Visuals

I hear you again. In the LDP world, distortion means the error committed if a grid measurement is used in the place of a ground measurement. It includ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: LDP vs Ground Coordinates Challenge

I suspect that you're multiplying by the reciprocal of the combined factor, not the combined factor itself. Sometimes this is called the inverse of th...

12 years ago
Page 108 / 114