AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
geeoddmike
geeoddmike
@geeoddmike
Free
Joined: September 19, 2010 1:58 pm
Topics: 188 / Replies: 1368
Reply
RE: Can I use two NGS Marks for Azimuth "control"?

Until April 1993, the US National Geodetic Survey in its most precise work used a technique known as "orbit relaxation" to account for the relative in...

10 years ago
Reply
RE: Can I use two NGS Marks for Azimuth "control"?

rfc, post: 366361, member: 8882 wrote: The "Ah Ha!" moment has arrived (Thank you Larry).So far, I've put aside getting too deep into GPS because I do...

10 years ago
Reply
RE: U Idaho

JPH, post: 366066, member: 6636 wrote: Anyone have insight into how good of an engineering program U Idaho has?See This link assumes you are intereste...

10 years ago
Reply
RE: Can I use two NGS Marks for Azimuth "control"?

FWIW, Here is the INVERS3D output verifying Bill93's results: Attached files AA8188_8189.pdf (83.6 KB) 

10 years ago
Reply
RE: Can I use two NGS Marks for Azimuth "control"?

On the matter of guidance for surveyors interested in astronomy, there are a number of good books on the subject. Many are hard to find or out-of-prin...

10 years ago
Reply
RE: Coordinates before State Plane

Darn, the answer to my question about the rationale for using South azimuth was too easy to find. See: This is a 1945 letter from Senior Mathematici...

10 years ago
Reply
RE: Coordinates before State Plane

Scott Zelenak, post: 363035, member: 327 wrote: What baked my brain was that northings were positive and eastings negative.Completely opposite to the ...

10 years ago
Reply
RE: Coordinates before State Plane

Larry Scott, post: 365881, member: 8766 wrote: Gotta keep up. 20 years of revisions, miss a few memos and then ..."Consequently, rigorously speaking, ...

10 years ago
Reply
RE: Coordinates before State Plane

The NGA (or is it NGIA) has an interesting policy with respect to their WGS 84 coordinates. Since it does not include a provision for velocities, they...

10 years ago
Reply
RE: True North as a useful Nonfiction

I personally would go with Polaris over solar azimuths. Especially since you are not worrying about paying night differentials.I am confused by some c...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: SPC arc to chord correction

Thaddeus Vincenty was certainly a noteworthy geodesist. His solutions to the inverse and forward problems are still relevant today. Wikipedia has a ni...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: SPC arc to chord correction

Bill93, post: 365043, member: 87 wrote: In a thread a while back I learned that my education on State Plane Coordinates was incomplete in that older b...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Deformation Conference

The reason for non-government US attendees is budgetary. Most agencies have severely cut travel budgets. Foreign travel is often seen as a boondoggle....

11 years ago
Reply
RE: NGS station misidentification?

Scott Zelenak, post: 364521, member: 327 wrote: 🙂 I wrote the 2001 recovery note. Obviously having too much spare time, I have chosen to be annoyi...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: NGS station misidentification?

While you have made some interesting deductions from available data, the 2001 recovery indicates a different building now exists in the site.The reduc...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Publication: CORS and OPUS for Engineers

John Hamilton, post: 363925, member: 640 wrote: I agree that it is pricey. Nothing from ASCE is cheap (have you seen the dues?).But the information is...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Vertical Datums

I, for one, would never refer to mean sea level as a relevant datum. While the NGS definition of the geoid is something along the lines of: an equipot...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: USBS Datum?

A little more information. Ellipsoid and dates of applicability of datums. This info was from an old PowerPoint presentation by the eminent Dave Doyle...

11 years ago
Reply
RE: Foray into surveying - Educational resources

Your post indicates you were accessing USACE publications through a commercial site. Why not the link above and go to the official site?Do a search fo...

11 years ago
Reply
Page 55 / 78