AI Assistant
Notifications
Clear all
david-livingstone
david-livingstone
@david-livingstone
Free
Joined: July 22, 2010 12:44 pm
Last seen: June 9, 2026 7:16 pm
Topics: 48 / Replies: 1088
Reply
RE: Retirement six years later.

I still take pictures of survey markers on vacation. I know they survey in Switzerland.

7 months ago
Topic
Replies: 22
Views: 2730
Reply
RE: A thing I used to know

I was never a fan of a grid. I just took shots where I thought they needed to be. There might be places they need to be 10 feet apart and other plac...

8 months ago
Reply
RE: Aspiring surveyor in my first year of classes - give me your best advice!

Don’t be afraid to talk to land owners and adjoiners. I used to think I can’t share what I’m doing, it’s top secret. As I got older I learned if you...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: The crazies strike again!

I’m retired and I would have gone out and confronted your survey crew also. You know I would have chatted them up, asked them how they liked the gun ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Half chains and full chains in GLO surveys

I’m going by memory but I believe someone interviewed one of the original surveyors before he died. I don’t remember where he surveyed or when. He s...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Half chains and full chains in GLO surveys

Most of my work is in Illinois where they supposedly used a half chain. I just ignore the fact they used a half chain. They seemed to generally do t...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: How did the GLO copy plats?

In Illinois my understanding is they were hand copied. The originals are available on line. I once read what the percentage of mistakes were in each...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: GPS on roadway monuments - how bad of an idea is this?

There is a safety issue using centerline monuments, no one wants to get run over. You could throw out a few monuments in better locations in my opini...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Help with finding a corner pin.

There is always the option of hiring a land surveyor to find that pin for you. If your putting an addition on your house that seems like an important...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Questions for Flat Earth Discussions

There is another forum that I frequent that focuses on tractors but like a lot of forums a lot of topics get brought up. There was a flat earth threa...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Remaining Land

I did one several years ago and surveyed just the house and the access to it. I don’t see anything wrong with that. No approval needed in rural area...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Survey Plat with aerial imagery in background

I agree, it’s been a while since I’ve done it but in Land Development you can fade the images and mess with the contrast to make your line work show u...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Codes

Depending on the area storm retention is a good idea. You start paving and developing areas eventually people downstream will get flooded.

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Illinois River Survey - 1903

I found this on the Mississippi River bluff a few years ago. My understanding is it was early geodetic work. This had updated coordinates on the NGS...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: New engineers vs land surveyors and others

My daughter went to the same school I did, SIU Carbondale. With my degree I could have been a PE in several states but not Illinois. There are more ...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: New engineers vs land surveyors and others

My daughter is a civil engineering grad and has passed her EIT with 3 years of experience. In Illinois PLS wages have increased a lot but engineers a...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: What is the best way to setup an external radio UHF antenna for a GNSS Base

I often just put a regular range pole on a tribrach and used one or two sections of range poke depending on how high I wanted it.

3 years ago
Reply
RE: How to handle a Pin Farmer

I suspect the new surveyor had a measurement that didn’t fit the existing pin something set a new one. It seems like I was at a seminar that said ...

3 years ago
Page 1 / 57