AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
bill-c
bill-c
@bill-c
Member Founder
Joined: April 26, 2016 8:57 am
Last seen: September 29, 2026 4:25 pm
Topics: 20 / Replies: 284
Reply
RE: Starnet coordinate systems

For anyone who might be wondering about "HPGN":     For a list of HARN and FBN dates, you can visit the NGS NCAT tool: and ...

3 months ago
Reply
RE: Found?

@peter-lothian That's interesting about the Tuttles setting monuments on new corners. Did they tend to show those monuments on plans or describe them ...

8 months ago
Reply
RE: Found?

@peter-lothian So I'm not the only person who finds the work of Horace and Harlan Tuttle "amusing"? A few years ago, I saw a 1971 plan stamped by Harl...

8 months ago
Reply
RE: Why not Metric??

@williwaw Interesting; I had not known about Dombey. But while that woodworking website says that Dombey's standards were thrown overboard, a post in ...

8 months ago
Reply
RE: Why not Metric??

@not-my-real-name The "three little lines" is quite special!

9 months ago
Reply
RE: G4 Solar flare prediction 20 Jan 2026

For what it's worth, NOAA Manual NOS NGS 9, "User Guidelines for Single Base Real Time GNSS Positioning," from 2014, says "Recommendations: Do not try...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Why not Metric??

@murphy Regarding the average Joe, or the unsophisticated, or the uneducated, it could be argued that their understanding of US Customary (or similar)...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Why not Metric??

@james-vianna I considered mentioning that mission in my previous comment, but US Customary units themselves were not necessarily the root cause of th...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Why not Metric??

@john-hamilton Your "internal" use of metric units makes me think of the Apollo Guidance Computer used to get to and from the Moon and to land on and ...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: Why not Metric??

Quick, without looking — tell me how many teaspoons are in one-quarter of a cup! Are we talking about pounds force, pounds mass, or slugs? I wonde...

9 months ago
Reply
RE: OPUS

@big-al If you're using the Canadian NRCAN CSRS-PPP online system, don't you need to run the results through NGS's HTDP before using NCAT? CSRS-PPP ou...

12 months ago
Reply
RE: Who Knew?

@bobwesterman I had the same thought.

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Who Knew?

@eapls2708 I too liked the wall in that photo. The curve and the good condition give me the impression is that it's a modern wall rather than one from...

1 year ago
Topic
1 year ago
Replies: 5
Views: 2430
Reply
Reply
RE: Is There Ever a Time Not to Hold a Long-Standing Corner?

@scott-in-indianapolis @stacy-carroll @bstrand In Massachusetts, at least one town has a zoning bylaw that requires fences in residential districts ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: A history of the determination of the figure of the earth from arc measurements

@gary_g Nice find, thanks. I’m sure that’s the same author as one of my favorite historical articles, “History and Development of Triangulation in Mas...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Massachusetts Stone Bound Questions

@peter-lothian That's a nice plan. I'm trying to remember if I've seen that road stone when driving and making a left turn from Wayside Inn Rd onto Su...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Massachusetts Stone Bound Questions

@jmcnicholspls Yes, those are the typical road stones. For various other reasons, I'm thinking that the stone bound I found was probably not a road st...

1 year ago
Page 1 / 16