AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@norm They need more training!

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe I agree. The software should do that, In goes xyz from GPS, out comes lat/lon, Northing, Easting, scale factor, convergence angle, and el...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@rover83 I hear you, but the question is, Why does state plane have to be modified to ground? The answer is, it doesn't. In fact, it is adjusted to ...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@ashton They need digging, but I traded my shovel for a computer a decade ago. But here's a list of airport monuments at RUT or KRUT as FAA wants. ...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@michigan-left @mightymoe has an excellent grasp of the relationships and we can confirm his reasoning by referring to the Computed Constants for te...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@jitterboogie Yes, when you're teaching yourself with NGS publications and Google books from the beginning of the last century, PACs, SACs, runway e...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

It's been a few years since I've worked with LDPs. For the Runway 05 LDP, the three airport control points, DQ3133, DQ3134, and DQ3135 have distortion...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

I knew that you guys would teach me something. OK, this video pretty much confirms what Trimble does. In TBC they use a GUI to enter the data needed ...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe So it's CAD considerations that push you to LDPs? Grid and ground equal, so no contradictions?

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@norm I see, now, not that it's a requirement that I do. What Trimble seems to do is economical from a processing viewpoint and rigorously sound. i...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@rover83 Yep, that is slick. lat/lon to get ellipsoidal distance, ellipsoid height to get elevation factors and division to get ground. If it needs ...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@rover83 Aha! So, Trimble is dividing the ellipsoid distance by an elevation factor, which it gets from the ellipsoid height. It dosen't need grid ...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe Please, no, not the code. I passed the million line parsing mark many years ago. If the grid is state plane, then to get to ground dista...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe How does it compute ground? And what does grid mean?

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@dave-karoly Yes, tapes and tables. But James Stem's Manual 5 should have changed all of that. He gave us step by step instructions for converting ...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@norm I don't think so, and even if it did, that has nothing to do with its ability to compute the length of a line on the topographic surface. The...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe I would say that your equipment merely converts lat/lon to state plane. There is absolutely no reason why it can't compute the SPC scale ...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe It's always been hard for me to fathom that surveying equipment didn't automate those same calculations. Conversions from lat/lon to any ...

4 years ago
Page 21 / 114