AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
Reply
RE: Astronomic North and Computer/Online Programs

@bill93 That sounds right, but I don't know what that average means or how it can be useful.

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Astronomic North and Computer/Online Programs

@rover83 Help me out. What is a mean geodetic bearing and how is it used?

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@norm Yes! Sound procedure matched to the tool and well-documented.

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

I've never been to your state, but I'm very familiar with your 14 LDPs.I've modified one of your Lambert projection WKTs many times to create local LD...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@norm That's good and well-deserved congratulations to everyone involved. That took some effort.

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@norm Yes, but NGS is developing state-wide systems and leaving more localized ones up to well-defined interested parties and subject to, among othe...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@ashton @mightymoe makes a good point about calculations in the old days and you make a good one about somehow fitting standalone surveys into a worl...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@norm Plane coordinates may not be used at all in 2083, but using only lat/lon/height or XYZ coordinates poses other problems. For example, XYZ pair...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@jitterboogie "The Epley maneuver is a simple, noninvasive approach to treating benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), a specific type of vert...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@fugarewe I don't know a lot about what goes on inside current surveying software. I've spent some time looking at TBC output from NCDOT which is pu...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@fugarewe The original question was about sources of confusion surrounding plane coordinates. I wanted to discuss some of those to clear up my own m...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@geeoddmike Other good sources appear when you use "classical geodetic methods" as a search term on the NGS website. A great discussion of the fixed...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@geeoddmike Yes, omitting the t-T correction was the source of the azimuth difference in my outrageous example above that calculated the length of a...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@bill93 Three decimeters in 45,575 meters is about 6.6 ppm. Both PW138 and PW217 were established in 1957 and the NAD27 lat/lon for both contain 4 d...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe Well, when I calculate the distance between PW0138 and PW0217, the 27 and 83 distances are within 3 decimeters for both the grid distance...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe So this statement on a data sheet DV2104.The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methodsDV2104.and adjusted by...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe I'll do that and thanks. You earlier gave me a point in AZ. It's a relative newcomer, set if I remember correctly in the 1970s. I went to...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe Indeed, there was error, a lot of it related to the assumption that the ellipsoid height was everywhere zero. When NGS did long precise l...

4 years ago
Reply
RE: Plane coordinate problems

@mightymoe Moe, when you define the lat/lon of a point on an ellipsoid, Meades Ranch, and an azimuth to another point on that ellipsoid, Waldo, then...

4 years ago
Page 18 / 114